Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 390 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #751882
    Avatar
    anad2527
    Participant
    Joined: 27 Jun 2007
    Location: Gers
    Total posts: 151

    Homeopathy is effective according to Swiss federal report
    November 19th 2011

    The English translation of the Swiss Health Technology Assessment (HTA) report on Homeopathy will be published in the UK on 30th November 2011. We are glad to bring you a taster of the contents of this exciting report.

    The 2006 HTA report on homeopathy was commissioned by the Federal Social Insurance Office (FSIO) within the context of an overall evaluation of Complementary and Alternative Medicines (CAMs). It was written by a team of German speaking academics and edited by G Bornhöft & F Matthiessen of Witten/Herdecke University in Germany.

    Interestingly, the HTA methodology, unlike meta-analyses and systematic reports such as the Cochrane Collaboration, does not just ask the question of effectiveness of a particular intervention, it also addresses the questions of effectiveness of a therapy in everyday use (i.e. real world effectiveness), how it is used, its safety and its cost-effectiveness.

    This report, amounting to 300-plus pages, exhaustively reviews the scientific literature in homeopathy. It summarises 22 reviews, 20 of which show positive results for homeopathy. Four of these showed strong evidence that homeopathy, as a system of medicine, is efficacious. It also finds strong supporting evidence for the homeopathic treatment of allergies and upper-respiratory tract infections.

    Shang et al comparative meta-analysis which appeared in the Lancet in 2005 and was heralded by the Lancet’s editor as “The end of homeopathy” was, according to Bornhöft & Matthiessen, commissioned by the FSIO as a part of this same assessment of CAMs. It was originally meant to investigate the quality of homeopathy trials compared to those of conventional medicine. In the HTA report the authors analyse the Shang et al 2005 study, stating that, “Although we cannot conclude from the previous remarks [about the Shang et al 2005 study] the opposite conclusion – that homeopathy is effective – we can say with certainty that the Shang et al 2005 study does not prove that homeopathy has no effect.” The report also presents the results of the quality assessment of homeopathy trials, concluding that “studies of homeopathy and phytotherapy were of better quality than comparable conventional medicine studies”.

    The Bornhöft & Matthiessen HTA report ends with this statement: “In conclusion we have established that there is sufficient supporting evidence for the pre-clinical (experimental) as well as clinical effects of homeopathy, and that in absolute terms, as well as when compared to conventional therapies, it offers a safe and cost-effective treatment.”

    With the publication of the English translation of the HTA report, we hope that the debate will finally move from the question, ‘Does homeopathy work?’ to the more pressing questions of ‘How does homeopathy work?’ and ‘What conditions can homeopathy treat effectively and cost-efficiently?’.

    ‘Homöopathie in der Krankenversorgung. Wirksamkeit, Nutzen, Sicherheit und Wirtschaftlichkeit.’
    English Title announced as: ‘Homeopathy in Healthcare: Effectiveness, Appropriateness, Safety, Costs.’
    by Gudrun Bornhöft and Peter F. Matthiessen (Editors)

    Author: Alex Tournier
    Translation: Yves Zimmermann

    #979811
    jsks
    jsks
    Participant
    Joined: 03 Sep 2010
    Location: Potatoshire, North Yorkshire and Co Cork soon?
    Total posts: 5674

    @anad2527 wrote:


    This report, amounting to 300-plus pages, exhaustively reviews the scientific literature in homeopathy. It summarises 22 reviews, 20 of which show positive results for homeopathy. Four of these showed strong evidence that homeopathy, as a system of medicine, is efficacious.

    Does it say what the other 18 out of 22 found?

    #979812
    Avatar
    k-way
    Blocked
    Joined: 06 Mar 2011
    Location: Vendee
    Total posts: 1746

    18 out of 22 say homoeopathy does no harm ( except to your wallet).


    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

    #979813
    jsks
    jsks
    Participant
    Joined: 03 Sep 2010
    Location: Potatoshire, North Yorkshire and Co Cork soon?
    Total posts: 5674

    The entire report (rather than the above synopsis which is virtually identical to National Centre for Homeopathy synopsis) can be read here:

    http://www.springerlink.com/content/978 … 6&locus=72

    #979814
    Avatar
    nounours
    Member
    Joined: 23 Feb 2009
    Location: 12
    Total posts: 1148

    It summarises 22 reviews, 20 of which show positive results for homeopathy. Four of these showed strong evidence that homeopathy, as a system of medicine, is efficacious. It also finds strong supporting evidence for the homeopathic treatment of allergies and upper-respiratory tract infections. So that is 4 out of 22?

    IMHO and learned others, Homeopathy is a multi million dollar industry that continues to trot out “evidence” that it works, yet refuses to submit to the sort of scrutiny and impartial tests that other medicines have to undergo before being sold.

    So homeopathy works for allergies does it? So does removing the patient from the allergic substance!! In fact all treatments that 99.999% of people take for the common cold work, because they all get better!!

    What I have asked the people daft enough to believe in this rubbish and I have a good friend who does :roll: is this. If we assume a “treatment” can be put into water by banging it in a leather bag, (the diluted state that actually cannot be traced by any scientific analysis,) and that “treatment” then stays in the water droplet, what happens when someone who is allergic to that “treatment” drinks that water. Do they become ill? Perhaps the OP can answer this?

    What happens when someone “accidentally” takes a “treatment” by drinking a glass of water? Problem is with homeopathy that a lot of people think its herbal medicines and the use of natural products, it’s not, it’s a multi million dollar con on the ignorant and desperate.


    #979815
    Avatar
    anad2527
    Participant
    Joined: 27 Jun 2007
    Location: Gers
    Total posts: 151

    :lol::lol:
    write the word “homeopathy” into a forum and you get the most arrogant comments from the most ignorant people on the forum.
    Always great entertainment.
    Try it out yourself. :D
    Always works.

    #979816
    jsks
    jsks
    Participant
    Joined: 03 Sep 2010
    Location: Potatoshire, North Yorkshire and Co Cork soon?
    Total posts: 5674

    @anad2527 wrote:


    write the word “homeopathy” into a forum and you get the most arrogant comments from the most ignorant people on the forum…….

    Which is hardly a surprise since these seem to be the exact qualities required to be taken in by this tosh!

    #979817
    Avatar
    lebesset
    Participant
    Joined: 19 Aug 2007
    Location: lozere
    Total posts: 1320

    placebos often work , why not homeopathy

    in either case , nothing to do with what is administered


    lebesset

    #979818
    jsks
    jsks
    Participant
    Joined: 03 Sep 2010
    Location: Potatoshire, North Yorkshire and Co Cork soon?
    Total posts: 5674

    @nounours wrote:


    IMHO and learned others, Homeopathy is a multi million dollar industry that continues to trot out “evidence” that it works, yet refuses to submit to the sort of scrutiny and impartial tests that other medicines have to undergo before being sold.

    Homeopathic remedies consist of water. They are not medicines and therefore don’t warrant that sort of scrutiny. As for randomised, controlled, double-blind clinical trials (the gold standard in medical research), there is a glaring paucity in homeopathy. In particular, there is no form of ananlysis to exclude the placebo effect (which is an extremely important component of all forms of medicine from conventional medicine through to all sorts of esoteric mumbo-jumbo)

    The only real problem with homeopathy lies in delayed diagnosis of important conditions (unless you find a homeopathist who is also a skilled diagnostician). People are free to believe whatever they like – if charlatans can exploit this credulity for gain then good luck to them, there’s always proper medicine for proper illnesses.

    #979819
    jsks
    jsks
    Participant
    Joined: 03 Sep 2010
    Location: Potatoshire, North Yorkshire and Co Cork soon?
    Total posts: 5674

    @lebesset wrote:

    placebos often work , why not homeopathy

    in either case , nothing to do with what is administered

    The placebo effect is very powerful and should never be belittled. Although it’s not too useful for a stroke, car crash, broken leg etc!

    Edit: Actually I’ll qualify that last sentence by acknowledging the powerful effect of placebo in terms of pain and recovery rates. But then, as a maxillo-facial surgeon I wouldn’t expect the placebo effect to repair a cleft palate!

    #979820
    Avatar
    Tricia
    Participant
    Joined: 20 Jul 2003
    Location: SW Gers
    Total posts: 6477

    We had a GP in the NE of England who was very keen on using homeopathic remedies. He was resistant to prescribing antibiotics, as he said he had seen the terrible results of their over-use. Many of his patients fell out with him and changed GP.
    We tried them a few times and found no improvement but he said you didn’t try long enough.
    I get the impression that homeopathy is more accepted here in France. People seem to be more open to alternative medicine. Does anyoneone else get this impression?


    Tricia

    #979821
    jsks
    jsks
    Participant
    Joined: 03 Sep 2010
    Location: Potatoshire, North Yorkshire and Co Cork soon?
    Total posts: 5674

    @tricia wrote:

    We had a GP in the NE of England who was very keen on using homeopathic remedies. He was resistant to prescribing antibiotics, as he said he had seen the terrible results of their over-use. Many of his patients fell out with him and changed GP.
    We tried them a few times and found no improvement but he said you didn’t try long enough.
    I get the impression that homeopathy is more accepted here in France. People seem to be more open to alternative medicine. Does anyoneone else get this impression?

    Referring to the statement in bold: he deserves great credit for that!

    #979822
    Avatar
    stewartp
    Member
    Joined: 20 Oct 2009
    Location: La Rochefoucauld (16)
    Total posts: 612

    And of course it’s because antibiotics are real medicines with real effects.

    A search on YouTube will find you the excellent Ben Goldacre explaining clearly and simply why homeopathy is bogus, and a Newsnight episode with the head of the UK society of homeopaths struggling to defend their lack of action against homeopaths who precribe sugar pills as prevention for Malaria!! really!!


    'How can you say, "We are wise, for we have the law of the LORD," when actually the lying pen of the scribes has handled it falsely? Jer 8:8
    A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. Groucho Marx

    #979823
    Avatar
    cranachan8
    Participant
    Joined: 15 Aug 2007
    Location: France
    Total posts: 169

    As a scientist, I can safely say, with no bias, that whoever wrote the report presented by the OH has really not grasped the basics of research!


    #979824
    Avatar
    sfburgundy
    Member
    Joined: 21 Nov 2008
    Location: 58/89 nr Avallon
    Total posts: 272

    I’ve used homeopathy for years sometimes I have been astounded by how quickly it works and at others have seen no effect. That is more than just a placebo effect.

    Our GP her in France is also a homeopath but this doesn’t stop her sending us to specialists or even A&E when necessary.

    It also works on animals and that too is more than just a placebo effect.

    Get the right remedy and it’ll work, get the wrong one and it won’t. There in lies the skill in prescribing.


Health and Social Welfare
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 390 total)

You cannot reply to this topic.