Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 301 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1185214
    Avatar
    carpiste
    Participant
    Joined: 03 Jan 2007
    Location: Manchester/mers-sur-Indre
    Total posts: 54

    @juglans wrote:

    http://www.nspcc.org.uk/…/understandingthelinks

    just because you don’t like it or can’t cope with it doesn’t mean it is outrageous…… check out the NSPCC website among others.

    there is NO evidence as to what you have suggested on that site.The NSPCA is a charity for children to which I subscribe.They have never,as far as I am aware ever stated there is a link between cruelty to animals and child abuse.
    It appears to me that you have made this line up in order to make hunters appear monsters!
    Well if that is the best you can do in your attempt to stop hunting then I will leave you to it.
    Now if you are saying there is a link between child and animal cruelty I could believe that.But not hunting and child abuse.
    I think now is the time for this discussion to be stopped.There appears to be little sense in it as there are two very divided camps.The anti-hunting brigade and the rest of us who either agree with hunting or have no concerns about it.
    I for one will not be continuing reading this thread.I have my views, they will not change as a result of petty name calling and accusations that are unfounded.
    Hoity toyties,4×4`s, souls!
    I don`t think so.


    I believe I can change my World

    #1185213
    nomoss
    nomoss
    Participant
    Joined: 09 Nov 2009
    Location: 11
    Total posts: 2156

    There certainly are some wierd muckers around :?


    Thanks to the Autoroutes and the use of GPS it is now possible to travel the length and breadth of France without seeing anything or speaking to anyone. Inspired by Charles Kuralt

    #1185212
    Avatar
    debra
    Participant
    Joined: 05 Dec 2008
    Location: Charente
    Total posts: 5278

    @carpiste wrote:

    @juglans wrote:

    http://www.nspcc.org.uk/…/understandingthelinks

    just because you don’t like it or can’t cope with it doesn’t mean it is outrageous…… check out the NSPCC website among others.

    there is NO evidence as to what you have suggested on that site.The NSPCA is a charity for children to which I subscribe.They have never,as far as I am aware ever stated there is a link between cruelty to animals and child abuse.
    It appears to me that you have made this line up

    This is the document being referred to, which certainly appears on the NSPCC site and is about the links between animal abuse, domestic abuse and child abuse: http://www.nspcc.org.uk/Inform/publications/downloads/understandingthelinks_wdf48177.pdf


    #1185211
    goretti
    goretti
    Participant
    Joined: 16 Sep 2010
    Location: North County Dublin, Ireland
    Total posts: 2553

    Good Evening All …

    I have only a couple of things to say on this subject now … as follows.

    1) Acko … I have explained as best I can why I disagree with hunting animals. As to your suggestion that you might be amenable to my opinion .. forgive me, but I think not. You (and most others on this subject on this forum) are as clearly entrenched in your views as I am in mine.

    2) For those of you who would like to see my essay from my French studies in Paris … well, again, you are making fun of the entire subject. Fine … but I’m not about to join your merry hilarity.

    3) Having taken part in the forum, I note that the vast majority of you agree with hunting, and many, if not all of you, partake actively. While I am surprised that there are not more people who disagree with it on this forum, I cannot help but think that there are people who are perhaps apprehensive to voice their disagreement, or even just too lazy or uninterested to do so. But in many ways, I can understand why. Not everyone can tolerate personal ridicule for their opinions, against a majority, in the same way that I can, and always have been able to.

    Happy Christmas, Everyone.

    G


    #1185210
    Redbidet
    Redbidet
    Participant
    Joined: 17 Jul 2003
    Location: EUROPE
    Total posts: 5081

    :lol: You’re out and about early tonight,got early release. :lol:

    Just how did you come to the assumption that most of the contributors hunt, is it putting 2 and 2 together making 5. #-o
    or do you just make it up to suit your own viewpoint. .


    #1185209
    Avatar
    noisette
    Participant
    Joined: 23 Jul 2005
    Location: Lot-et-Garonne (47)
    Total posts: 1157

    @goretti wrote:


    I see no reason why you should resort to blatant sarcasm, and personal comments about my future domiciliary arrangements in France, or anywhere else for that matter.
    Endeavour to confine yourself to the topic under discussion, hunting. Everyone should know from a very early age that when you are reduced to making personal comments about a person’s viewpoint, you have lost the argument.
    G

    No sarcasm intended, Goretti. You have made it perfectly obvious that you know nothing of how hunting is carried out in France. You refuse to acknowledge proffered information on the subject. Finding yourself in rural France, able to communicate your views on hunting to local people, the majority of whom enthusiastically support it, would result in reactions varying from resigned dislike to positive antipathy. You maintain, despite all the genuine evidence to the contrary, that all hunting is ‘cruel’. You are remarkably reticent on the counter-arguments regarding farmed meat. Argument…what argument? :roll: But Happy Christmas, yes, certainly. Enjoy your turkey :D


    Be alert!!!!! Your country needs lerts

    #1185208
    Avatar
    whynot
    Participant
    Joined: 09 Feb 2006
    Location: 24 Dordogne
    Total posts: 1997

    @goretti wrote:

    Good Evening All …

    I have only a couple of things to say on this subject now … as follows.

    1) Acko … I have explained as best I can why I disagree with hunting animals. As to your suggestion that you might be amenable to my opinion .. forgive me, but I think not. You (and most others on this subject on this forum) are as clearly entrenched in your views as I am in mine.

    2) For those of you who would like to see my essay from my French studies in Paris … well, again, you are making fun of the entire subject. Fine … but I’m not about to join your merry hilarity.

    3) Having taken part in the forum, I note that the vast majority of you agree with hunting, and many, if not all of you, partake actively. While I am surprised that there are not more people who disagree with it on this forum, I cannot help but think that there are people who are perhaps apprehensive to voice their disagreement, or even just too lazy or uninterested to do so. But in many ways, I can understand why. Not everyone can tolerate personal ridicule for their opinions, against a majority, in the same way that I can, and always have been able to.

    Happy Christmas, Everyone.

    G

    Goretti, I am one that hates hunting and agree with you. You are right that it can at times get tiring to join in on the debate. Sadly all the pro hunters seem to be siding up against you on this one.

    I can understand some of the comments particularly in regards to industrialized farming versus free range as some like to think of hunting. Perhaps there is a good argument about keeping numbers down as well (in the past some have said that was perhaps one good side effect of wars on the human population) so perhaps hunting does help in this regard. I know in our area the wild life has been kept down to a minimum outside of some of the small deer eating my roses!

    My argument against hunting is not that it is bad for the country side so much but just the fact that it is done for fun/sport.

    At least the people working in the abattoir do it to presumably put food on the family table not because they enjoy it. Before anyone says it, I am sure there is the odd sicko that enjoys killing. Some of us have seen some of the horrific videos. :(

    I would love to know the statistics of how much hunting takes away from intensive farming. Can anyone here say if hunting was abolished tomorrow what that difference percentage wise would be? I would imagine very little if any.

    I like you see animals as sentient beings not something to kill for sport. And I can assure you at least the fellows that are in my area that I see with their neglected dogs do not do it for any altruistic reasons other than a good jolly.

    I know I will never see it in my lifetime but it would be wonderful to see humans “humanly” treat animals in farming methods to make it much easier for people that do want to eat meat but know the animal was treated humanly and completely abolish hunting animals down for sport and pleasure. I say bring on evolution. :)


    #1185207
    Avatar
    acko
    Participant
    Joined: 16 Sep 2005
    Location: the foot of our stairs
    Total posts: 2161

    @goretti wrote:

    Good Evening All …

    I have only a couple of things to say on this subject now … as follows.

    1) Acko … I have explained as best I can why I disagree with hunting animals. As to your suggestion that you might be amenable to my opinion .. forgive me, but I think not. You (and most others on this subject on this forum) are as clearly entrenched in your views as I am in mine.

    I really don’t think you’ve been reading my posts. I’m only in agreement with hunting because I don’t see any valid reason not to be.I don’t hunt and never will hunt but I can see a need for hunting. I don’t understand why people enjoy hunting ,but they do and it’s not illegal.

    It’s not for me to judge people by my morals. Apart from animal cruelty which I abhor in all its forms and which is why I think some methods of farming are far more cruel than hunting. As I’m not a vegan I can hardly complain about animals being killed. If animals were being killed purely for trophies I would be against it as vehemently as anyone. But the boar and deer numbers need to be controlled without total eradication and vermin also need to be controlled. If the hunters then want to make trophies out of their kills that is their business not mine. I find stuffed animals repellent but I don’t have a problem with wearing leather so who is the more mixed up me,or the hunters.


    #1185206
    Avatar
    Chanceux
    Participant
    Joined: 17 Mar 2010
    Location: Picardie
    Total posts: 13130

    @goretti wrote:

    2) For those of you who would like to see my essay from my French studies in Paris … well, again, you are making fun of the entire subject. Fine … but I’m not about to join your merry hilarity.

    3) Having taken part in the forum, I note that the vast majority of you agree with hunting, and many, if not all of you, partake actively.

    It was I that declared interest in your essay Goretti and sadly you have completely misjudged me.

    I enjoy reading essays or whatever on subjects of interest that are written in the persons second language (although I am limited to French and English) as they have to make all the more effort to express their views, reading a view of the world through young eyes, especially if you know the person in later life, is fascinating. I dont claim to know you but have read many of your postings.

    My good friend my ex French teacher recently let me read the essay in English that she had submitted for her exams, it described her experiences and feelings whilst working as an assistant in an English school in a very poor area and her views on life in England all through the eyes of a young person, it was fascinating to compare them with the person I know now and to understand just a little of her formative years and what makes her the person that she is now. A biography of a person is written with the benefit of hindsight.

    I never expected you to post the essay on the forum but why dont you re-read it yourself and see where your some of your views may have softened or changed with maturity and exposure to and consideration of those of others.

    I really wish that I had written down my feelings when younger to be able to do what you can, I think I am a far better more rounded and considerate person than when I was younger, I also think the same of nearly all the people that I come across that I knew back then, there have been a couple of exceptions which I actually found really scary.

    Oh I forgot to add that I dont hunt, am neither for or against la chasse as I understand the views of both parties and prefer the company of those who do the same even though some of them are polar opposites.

    I would say that less than one percent of contributors to this forum are active chasseurs but thats just mygut feeling


    #1185205
    Grumpy Yorkie
    Grumpy Yorkie
    Participant
    Joined: 30 Jan 2008
    Location: Villeréal, Lot et Garonne
    Total posts: 6782

    Thoughtful and interesting post, Chancer! =D>

    Stuart


    Flat cap, whippet, Panda, V8 Jaguar, V12 Mercedes and a '54 Sunbeam Talbot 90 called Josephine (obviously) ................... bloody grand!

    #1185204
    Redbidet
    Redbidet
    Participant
    Joined: 17 Jul 2003
    Location: EUROPE
    Total posts: 5081

    @whynot wrote:

    Goretti, I am one that hates hunting and agree with you. You are right that it can at times get tiring to join in on the debate. Sadly all the pro hunters seem to be siding up against you on this one.

    My argument against hunting is not that it is bad for the country side so much but just the fact that it is done for fun/sport.

    You must live in a different part of France to me. Here the hunters hunt for food, not for sport or fun.


    #1185203
    Avatar
    acko
    Participant
    Joined: 16 Sep 2005
    Location: the foot of our stairs
    Total posts: 2161

    @redbidet wrote:

    @whynot wrote:

    Goretti, I am one that hates hunting and agree with you. You are right that it can at times get tiring to join in on the debate. Sadly all the pro hunters seem to be siding up against you on this one.

    My argument against hunting is not that it is bad for the country side so much but just the fact that it is done for fun/sport.

    You must live in a different part of France to me. Here the hunters hunt for food, not for sport or fun.

    As they do here. They can’t quite understand with English foxhunts why people put so much time and effort into hunting something that isn’t even edible :roll:


    #1185202
    Avatar
    juglans
    Participant
    Joined: 25 Dec 2012
    Location: N/A
    Total posts: 680

    As they do here. They can’t quite understand with English foxhunts why people put so much time and effort into hunting something that isn’t even edible

    They hunt foxes here because they are considered a nuisance..


    #1185201
    goretti
    goretti
    Participant
    Joined: 16 Sep 2010
    Location: North County Dublin, Ireland
    Total posts: 2553

    Hello Chancer

    I agree with Stuart, and your last post is very interesting to read. Just one thing though … while I agree with lots of it, my basic views, such as those about animals, has not softened with the years whatsoever :) although many other views have somewhat.

    Warm wishes of the festive Season to you, and yours :)

    G


    #1185200
    Grumpy Yorkie
    Grumpy Yorkie
    Participant
    Joined: 30 Jan 2008
    Location: Villeréal, Lot et Garonne
    Total posts: 6782

    Merry Christmas to you, too, G!

    Let’s hope 2014 will be better for all in the Emerald Isle ….. Mrs GY insists on visiting next year but I want to come over in 2016 to visit the grave of my great-uncle killed by the bl**dy English in 1916! :evil:

    Stuart


    Flat cap, whippet, Panda, V8 Jaguar, V12 Mercedes and a '54 Sunbeam Talbot 90 called Josephine (obviously) ................... bloody grand!

French Life & Living
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 301 total)

You cannot reply to this topic.