Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 230 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1038462
    Avatar
    metisse
    Participant
    Joined: 04 Nov 2009
    Location: Sarlat Dordogne
    Total posts: 703

    Brits, Aussies, Americans and a few others will still continue to buy and want to buy here in France. They will however be a lot more selective on where they put their money. Its a real shame when people want to move on, back, or whatever and are trapped with an unsold property , but you make money when you buy your house, not when you sell it…


    #1038461
    mysty2
    mysty2
    Participant
    Joined: 29 Jul 2012
    Location: N/A
    Total posts: 9603

    Metisse, help me out here, how does one make money when they buy a house #-o :D


    #1038460
    Avatar
    acko
    Participant
    Joined: 16 Sep 2005
    Location: the foot of our stairs
    Total posts: 2161

    @bentley wrote:

    acko says (obviously after ignoring the rest of the post because pride isn’t the only obstructive issue mentioned in my posts)

    “Isn’t this a bit like telling someone on the verge of suicide to stop being silly and pull yourself together?”

    No it is sod all like it. It is sound advice based on experience. Bricks and mortar and few bits of bric a brac are not remotely as important as a life so perhaps less dramatics are called for.

    Every situation and circumstance will be different however (whatever the circumstances) “positive action”, after organising ones priorities, will have a far better result than doing nothing and bemoaning ones fate (as I and many others have said)

    That’s where we differ I think it’s exactly like saying “pull yourself together”

    I do agree that every situation and circumstance is different which is why I think saying “you can always go back if you don’t like it”without knowing every situation and circumstance is ridiculous ,but as it seems to be only me that thinks it I’m prepared to concede I may be wrong.

    For the record I don’t choose to ignore points in your posts just that the majority of your posts are so long I haven’t got the time to answer everything so I just pick out a few points that are of most interest to me.


    #1038459
    Avatar
    bentley
    Blocked
    Joined: 04 May 2008
    Location: Central Brittany
    Total posts: 3730

    We will have to disagree then acko because I am not saying “pull yourself together” however I am saying prioritise, explore all options and then act on the results.

    I am not one who says “if you don’t like it you can go back”
    however I would say “if you don’t like it you can move on” regardless of the situation or circumstances.

    I don’t believe the reason and excuses for not taking action that have been put forward so far represent an inability to move on with ones life.

    Yes it may be difficult, yes money may be lost and yes some compromises will have to be made, however people can still move on, even if it involves a bit of hardship and the swallowing of pride (usually associated with the taste of humble pie) rather than doing nothing.

    Where i will agree is that just using it as a retort when someone is having a whinge about their life in France shows a lack of an imaginative thought process.


    Only dead fish go with the flow

    #1038458
    Avatar
    bentley
    Blocked
    Joined: 04 May 2008
    Location: Central Brittany
    Total posts: 3730

    Roadrats assumption that people who haven’t made money out of property must be stupid is in itself a rather silly (or stupid if you prefer) generalisation.

    Some people have been unlucky in the last few years,
    ask anyone who bought in late 2007 or even in 2008 when people believed prices had bottomed out.
    Also not all of us thought that buying in France would be the same madhouse that the UK property market had become, in fact some of us bought here because of that.

    I cant fault your ending though, which has obviously come as surprise to many, and may be an indicator as to why there is a reluctance by some to accept the reality of the French housing market.


    Only dead fish go with the flow

    #1038457
    Avatar
    kathyc
    Participant
    Joined: 30 Aug 2005
    Location: Mussidan
    Total posts: 3579

    @metisse wrote:

    Brits, Aussies, Americans and a few others will still continue to buy and want to buy here in France. They will however be a lot more selective on where they put their money. Its a real shame when people want to move on, back, or whatever and are trapped with an unsold property , but you make money when you buy your house, not when you sell it…

    Some of us actually expect to sell our home to French people if/when the time comes to move to a different property. A strange concept I know but worth trying, I feel. :wink:


    #1038456
    tim17
    tim17
    Participant
    Joined: 19 Jun 2004
    Location: 17
    Total posts: 2890

    2008 – Couple late fifties both working buy holiday home with large garden and get yours truly to maintain said garden and house.

    2011 – Sell UK home and rent in preparation for permanent move here.

    July/August 2012 – Jack in jobs and move here, live on savings until pensions kick-in (2014/2015).

    June 2013 – Put house on market. Miss children, grandchildren, garden too big, house too cold in winter and needs 20k to bring up to date, too rural, can’t speak French, no friends, etc, etc.

    Nov 2013 – no viewings to date, dreading winter, constantly arguing.

    House and renovation cost approx 180k and is now for sale (to them) for 160k but is worth no more than 140k. They would like to move back to Kent (from whence they came) but can now only afford a terraced house unless one of them gets a job.


    Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes (Wilde)

    #1038455
    Avatar
    metisse
    Participant
    Joined: 04 Nov 2009
    Location: Sarlat Dordogne
    Total posts: 703

    I was going to waffle on to elaborate on the point Mysty 2 , but found this article which pretty much explains it
    , give or take.

    Let look closer at a sale. One has to assume that the market as a whole is well informed and has professional assistance in form of real estate professionals. The best deals in the market tend to sell first and overpriced offerings will not sell until the market has moved up. A seller therefore can expect to obtain market value for his property. It is very unlikely that by some fluke he will stumble upon a buyer willing to overpay for a property.

    Now lets have a closer look at the buying process. When buying you are negotiating with one individual, the seller. He might or might not be completely informed about the market value of his property. The seller might be facing special circumstances that might make him more motivated to sell at a below market value. You might be in a position to close quickly and therefore a motivated seller might be willing to come down on his price. When buying property you are competing with the market for a property but you can always beat the market by being first to learn about a new listing.

    It is during the buying process that you can find the pearls amongst the plethora of offerings. Make lots of offers on property where you see potential. Find the seller that is most motivated. Do not get hung up on a particular property just because you have fallen in love with it. Once you found the person and the property that meet all your criteria negotiate hard and make the deal happen.

    It is at the time of buying when you set yourself up for future profits. But the profit potential that you control is 100% related to your buying decision. Not only in terms of the price you paid but also in regards to all other variable factors like location, desirability of structure, condition of the dwelling, rental potential and so on.

    So when buying your next property keep in mind that it is the key to your success. Selling just represents the completion of a wise buying decision. You can expect to sell a property at market rates, but you can find and buy property at below market rates.

    Moving on to Kathy c, We recently sold a property to a French couple so I know it does happen…. In fact three houses in this little hamlet all changed hands within eighteen months to French buyers relocation south.


    #1038454
    Avatar
    acko
    Participant
    Joined: 16 Sep 2005
    Location: the foot of our stairs
    Total posts: 2161

    @bentley wrote:

    Where i will agree is that just using it as a retort when someone is having a whinge about their life in France shows a lack of an imaginative thought process.

    Phew ! :lol: That’s what I’ve been driving at right from the start.

    Obviously I know one can just drive to the nearest airport and be back in the UK in a couple of hours if life is really that bad .


    #1038453
    Avatar
    bentley
    Blocked
    Joined: 04 May 2008
    Location: Central Brittany
    Total posts: 3730

    Phrases like
    “set yourself up for future profits”.
    “the profit potential that you control”
    “expect to sell a property at market rates, but you can find and buy property at below market rates.”
    “hard negotiation”

    What a thoroughly depressing article metisse and one peppered with phrases above that are part of the cause of the problem of property speculators in the housing market
    pushing prices up, or if you prefer one person making “profit” at the expense of another persons circumstances or hard times. Personally I find that rather distasteful hoeever it will no doubt be music to the ears of those in it for a fast buck, as opposed to those in it wishing to buy a “home”.
    (yeah yeah as idealistic as ever)

    Strange as the notion may seem to some, but not everyone buys a house expecting to make money or even considering the prospect.


    Only dead fish go with the flow

    #1038447
    Avatar
    alittlebitfrench
    Blocked
    Joined: 06 Aug 2013
    Location: France
    Total posts: 2468

    @bentley wrote:

    Strange as the notion may seem to some, but not everyone buys a house expecting to make money or even considering the prospect.

    Not many sane people would buy a property to lose money.


    #1038446
    jsks
    jsks
    Participant
    Joined: 03 Sep 2010
    Location: Potatoshire, North Yorkshire and Co Cork soon?
    Total posts: 5674

    @alittlebitfrench wrote:

    @bentley wrote:

    Strange as the notion may seem to some, but not everyone buys a house expecting to make money or even considering the prospect.

    Not many sane people would buy a property to lose money.

    :D

    #1038445
    Avatar
    rabbie
    Participant
    Joined: 26 Feb 2011
    Location: wiltshire
    Total posts: 1125

    @alittlebitfrench wrote:

    @bentley wrote:

    Strange as the notion may seem to some, but not everyone buys a house expecting to make money or even considering the prospect.

    Not many sane people would buy a property to lose money.

    Agreed but some people buy a property because they love the location. Price is not necessarily their prime consideration and if everything else is just what they want they may be prepared to pay more than the market value to get it


    #1038444
    Avatar
    alittlebitfrench
    Blocked
    Joined: 06 Aug 2013
    Location: France
    Total posts: 2468

    @rabbie wrote:

    @alittlebitfrench wrote:

    @bentley wrote:

    Strange as the notion may seem to some, but not everyone buys a house expecting to make money or even considering the prospect.

    Not many sane people would buy a property to lose money.

    Agreed but some people buy a property because they love the location. Price is not necessarily their prime consideration and if everything else is just what they want they may be prepared to pay more than the market value to get it

    I agree totally…… but !……..dont complain when it all goes tits up. Full circle on this thread.


    #1038443
    Avatar
    Chanceux
    Participant
    Joined: 17 Mar 2010
    Location: Picardie
    Total posts: 13130

    @alittlebitfrench wrote:

    @bentley wrote:

    Strange as the notion may seem to some, but not everyone buys a house expecting to make money or even considering the prospect.

    Not many sane people would buy a property to lose money.

    Its more that most people in recent years have been fortunate not to lose money on their houses and given that as a precedent then what you say is correct.

    However you have (within reason) to have a roof over your head in a suitable location for you to earn a living to pay for said roof, a bit like most people having to have a car to go to work.

    We all accept that we will lose money on our vehicles despite having to invest significant amounts in maintaining them, is there be a difference other than what may in the long term be a historically insignificant bubble?

    I doubt that my grandfather placed any store on the value of his house going up when he bought it and sure as hell knew that he was going to have to spend a packet on it.


Miscellaneous (FRANCE RELATED)
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 230 total)

You cannot reply to this topic.