Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 231 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #950519
    Avatar
    debra
    Participant
    Joined: 05 Dec 2008
    Location: Charente
    Total posts: 5278

    @dolittle wrote:

    If vehicle is post 2002 it will have an E number and therefore no CofC needed for CT this is a fact as I have done this on 3 cars now and have advised 2 friends of the same all of whom have had CT no problem. Before the barrage commences I have then registered the cars in France.

    I assume dolittle is confirming this – no COC needed to register the cars either, dolittle?


    #950520
    Avatar
    debra
    Participant
    Joined: 05 Dec 2008
    Location: Charente
    Total posts: 5278

    Sorry for quoting people at the beginning of this thread – I’ve only just realised it was resurrected from a discussion last year and is a year old today!!!


    #950521
    Avatar
    debra
    Participant
    Joined: 05 Dec 2008
    Location: Charente
    Total posts: 5278

    @berni wrote:

    Bored of this now.
    I have a uk plate car. French CT. French Insurance.

    So where is your car actually registered? Is it illegally SORN’d or ‘exported’ according to the DVLA? If not, won’t you get an automatic fine to the UK address it is registered at, due to no UK insurance or MOT being in place, under that newish law? If it is SORN’d or ‘exported’ then it is illegal as it isn’t registered anywhere, surely?


    #950522
    cardi
    cardi
    Participant
    Joined: 16 Feb 2007
    Location: West Wales, Villefagnan 16 and Niteroi, RJ.
    Total posts: 1846

    @Debnfamily wrote:

    So where is your car actually registered? Is it illegally SORN’d or ‘exported’ according to the DVLA? If not, won’t you get an automatic fine to the UK address it is registered at, due to no UK insurance or MOT being in place, under that newish law? If it is SORN’d or ‘exported’ then it is illegal as it isn’t registered anywhere, surely?

    So what is it with these ‘illegal’ cars?
    Is there a power of arrest?
    What about the driver and passengers?
    Could they be charged with assisting offenders?
    Is there strict liability or is there a defence available?

    I think we should be told. :wink:


    Criminals are never very amusing. It's because they're failures. Those who make real money aren't counted as criminals. This is a class distinction, not an ethical problem. Orson Welles

    #950523
    cardi
    cardi
    Participant
    Joined: 16 Feb 2007
    Location: West Wales, Villefagnan 16 and Niteroi, RJ.
    Total posts: 1846

    @Debnfamily wrote:

    Sorry for quoting people at the beginning of this thread – I’ve only just realised it was resurrected from a discussion last year and is a year old today!!!

    The old ones are some of the best. :)


    Criminals are never very amusing. It's because they're failures. Those who make real money aren't counted as criminals. This is a class distinction, not an ethical problem. Orson Welles

    #950524
    Avatar
    newbhoy
    Member
    Joined: 14 Dec 2010
    Location: 46
    Total posts: 302

    @Debnfamily wrote:

    @redbidet wrote:

    It is a simple fact that a CT station in France will no longer CT a non French registered vehicle without presenting a Cert of Conformity

    Apparently not, at least in our area.

    Not a simple fact or no CT without a CoC?

    No wonder this one runs and runs.

    n.


    #950525
    Avatar
    debra
    Participant
    Joined: 05 Dec 2008
    Location: Charente
    Total posts: 5278

    @newbhoy wrote:

    @Debnfamily wrote:

    @redbidet wrote:

    It is a simple fact that a CT station in France will no longer CT a non French registered vehicle without presenting a Cert of Conformity

    Apparently not, at least in our area.

    Not a simple fact or no CT without a CoC?

    No wonder this one runs and runs.

    n.

    Eh? Not a simple fact. As I said – various cars CT’d and registered without a COC as long as the E number is present on the V5, in our prefecture (Angouleme – 16000).

    Cardi – re what will happen? Probably the standard fine of €90 that they seem to hand out for everything…..but a crushed car if you go back to the UK with it. What about those automatic fines though?


    #950526
    AnOther
    AnOther
    Participant
    Joined: 11 Jan 2008
    Location: W of Cahors (46)
    Total posts: 9455

    @cardi wrote:

    So what is it with these ‘illegal’ cars?
    Is there a power of arrest?
    What about the driver and passengers?
    Could they be charged with assisting offenders?
    Is there strict liability or is there a defence available?

    I think we should be told. :wink:

    Do give it a rest, I don’t know if you are trying to be funny or sarcastic but you are failing on both counts.


    #950527
    Avatar
    painterlady
    Participant
    Joined: 09 Dec 2009
    Location: x
    Total posts: 1272

    I still would genuinely love to know, what is the point of CTing a car on UK plates unless you’re going to re-register it? It’s not required by DVLC and it’s not required by France so surely it’s a waste of time and money.


    #950528
    Avatar
    debra
    Participant
    Joined: 05 Dec 2008
    Location: Charente
    Total posts: 5278

    They CT the car in the hope that gendarmes won’t know the law and will see the CT sticker and assume all is OK as it has the French CT sticker on it. It’s worked for a lot of people for a long time. In my area they’re getting wise, checking the date and telling people it should have been re-registered within 30 days. The trouble is, how are they to know how many times the offender has been told this? As far as I know, they just hand out the €90 fine – does anyone check how many of those have been handed to the same person for the same car for the same offense?

    I wouldn’t want to risk it myself as I know that often a small fine here can increase to a huge one for a second offense, even when it’s ‘just’ a code de la route offense. I don’t know whether that is the case here though.


    #950529
    Avatar
    painterlady
    Participant
    Joined: 09 Dec 2009
    Location: x
    Total posts: 1272

    @Debnfamily wrote:

    They CT the car in the hope that gendarmes won’t know the law and will see the CT sticker and assume all is OK as it has the French CT sticker on it.

    Thanks for the explanation Debn, I’ve wondered about that every time I read these threads

    Still don’t fully understand the logic. Surely the gendarme will see the plates and possibly spot that the steering wheel is the wrong side, realise it is not a French reg car, therefore he will not expect to see a French CT sticker on it and be confused when he does? As you say, if the ct was done a year ago it’s an no-brainer, easy cop for a 90EUR fine – whereas if M. Flick sees a foreign car with no ct sticker, why would he bat an eyelid?

    I’m glad these people do visit the garage and keep their cars roadworthy so would hate to discourage it, but honestly.


    #950530
    Avatar
    debra
    Participant
    Joined: 05 Dec 2008
    Location: Charente
    Total posts: 5278

    I’m not sure the gendarmes would know but they might ask to see a CT equivalent if the sticker wasn’t on the car and if one couldn’t be produced – give you the €90 fine! They do check UK documents.

    Maybe people think they need it when their UK MOT runs out? I wondered if they got that far and then couldn’t get a COC (for those cars for which one is needed) and so stalled at that point in the registration process – but then I’ve met people who think that they’re perfectly OK with the UK reg, French CT and insurance and nothing you say will convince them otherwise; until the insurance company refuses to renew.


    #950531
    Avatar
    debra
    Participant
    Joined: 05 Dec 2008
    Location: Charente
    Total posts: 5278

    I know someone who just pretends she’s on holiday and can’t speak French when she’s stopped (no CT sticker, car on UK plates but ‘exported’) – and she gets away with it.


    #950532
    Avatar
    Chanceux
    Participant
    Joined: 17 Mar 2010
    Location: Picardie
    Total posts: 13130

    @Debnfamily wrote:

    In my area they’re getting wise, checking the date and telling people it should have been re-registered within 30 days. The trouble is, how are they to know how many times the offender has been told this? As far as I know, they just hand out the €90 fine

    Yeah right!

    Wishfull thinking wont make it happen.


    #950533
    Avatar
    debra
    Participant
    Joined: 05 Dec 2008
    Location: Charente
    Total posts: 5278

    Make what happen, Chancer? (I’ve seen the checking, been checked and reminded of the 30 days whilst still within it and heard of people getting a fine so I’m not sure what you mean!)


Owning a vehicle in France
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 231 total)

You cannot reply to this topic.