Converted Old Chapel
The former chapel was built in the early 19th century, and in more recent years was tastefully converted into a house for residential use.
The current owners bought it as a ruin and restored it from the ground up, keeping the shape and remaining historical stones.
The 95m² building is in very good condition, all the remaining original features have been preserved and the renovation has kept the original aspect of the build absolutely intact.
On the ground floor is the kitchen, the shower room with WC and a small storeroom for tools and groceries.
The main part of the building consists of a large 40m² living room with a beautiful open stone fireplace, over which sleeping areas are set out over three mezzanine levels.
A stone and wooden staircase gives access to a first mezzanine that can be used as a snug or office room.
On one side you can access a semi-circular mezzanine, on the opposite side is another higher and larger mezzanine; both are used as sleeping areas.
The first bedroom has a double bed, the second bedroom has two single beds.
The mezzanines are open plan and simply separated by curtains, which creates a vast and unique open space of almost 75m² in area with maximum ceiling height of 7 meters.
The property is being sold with all of the furniture and appliances, so you can move in right away.
The building is positioned on a 440m² plot, with a South-East view towards the vallée du Rhône. There is a wooden tool shed and plenty of trees to take shelter from the sun and attach your hammocks.
You will find olive trees, almond trees, bay trees (lauriers), paper mulberry (mûriers de chine), apricot trees, fig trees, as well as passion fruit, lavender, rosemary, thyme, verveine, and several other varieties of Provençal herbs and plants.
The remainder of the land (~2000m²) is on the other side of a small municipal road and currently features a vegetable garden (tomatoes, courgettes, aubergines...), a vast area to play badminton or park your cars, as well as an infinity swimming pool.
The swimming pool is private and secluded: sunbathe at its edge (on local flat stones) or swim down its 11m length (5m width), with a depth ranging from 1.4m to 2.0m. It features a diving stone and spectacular views of the pre-Alps and Mont Ventoux (étape du Tour de France). Contemplate the vast Provençal landscape while swimming in the daytime, or stargaze at some of the clearest skies in France at night (Mont Aigoual observatory is not far away).
The surrounding farmlands cultivate almonds, lavender and grapes.
- Character property / Unique
- Infinity swimming pool with Provençal views
- Large stone open fireplace
- Modern interior with mezzanines
- Scenic panoramic views
- Orchard (fruit trees)
- Vegetable garden
- Good rental potential
- Ample parking
- Ready to move in (furniture and appliances sold with the property)
With sports (hiking, biking, horse riding, climbing, canoeing, fishing, walks) and cultural activities (festivals, museums, concerts, events, heritage, gastronomy, wines, UNESCO sites, Grands Sites de France), this is one of the most beautiful regions of France.
> Character towns and villages nearby:
- City of Uzès (First Duchy of France)
- City of Avignon (The city of the popes)
- City of Beaucaire (Roman city on the Rhône)
- Village of Lussan (Small Provençal village)
- City of Barjac (City of character)
- Village of Vézénobres (Elected "Most beautiful village of Gard")
- Village d'Aiguèze ("Most beautiful village in France")
- Village of Montclus (Village of character)
- La Roque sur Cèze (Village built on a steep rock)
- Saint-Gilles Abbey (Monastery founded in the 7th century)
> Cultural activities:
- Pont-d'Arc cave (Reproduction of the Chauvet cave)
- Pont du Gard (2000 year old Roman aqueduct bridge)
- La bambouseraie d'Anduze (Park and exotic garden)
- Aven d'Orgnac (Grand site de France)
- Grotte de La Forestière (A natural cave)
- Cocalière cave (One of the 3 most beautiful caves in France)
- Arena of Nîmes (Best preserved amphitheatre in the world)
- Chorégies d'Orange (Opera and classical music festival)
- Festival d'Avignon (Theatre and show event)
- Haribo Museum (Children and adults love it!)
- Crocodile farm (The fascinating world of reptiles)
- The Visiatome of Marcoule (The great adventure of the atom)
> Nature activities:
- Pont d'Arc (natural gateway to the Ardèche gorges)
- Descent of the Ardèche (By canoe or kayak)
- The Cévennes steam train (From Saint-Jean-du-Gard to Anduze)
- The Gardon gorges (Grand Site de France)
- The Causses and Cévennes (Magnificent & varied landscapes)
- The Cirque de Navacelles (Grand Site de France)
- Mont Gerbier de Jonc (Source of the Loire)
- Mont Ventoux (The kingdom of cyclists)
- Mont Aigoual (Summit at 1500 m altitude)
- Bois de Païolive (Walks in an exceptional forest)
- Sautadet waterfalls (Impressive waterfalls and rapids)
- Thermes de Vals-les-Bains (Hotel and spa complex)
- Thermes des Fumades (Hotel and spa complex)
- Hiking / Biking in the Gard (exceptional walks)
- River fishing
The house has been used as a holiday rental. For guidance, peak season typically earns 1300€/week.
The rental website is www . maison-provencale . fr
Will be for sale in Autumn 2020. Viewings will start spring/summer 2020.