Car key and driving licence in France

Now that the UK has officially left the EU and the transition period is over, there are a few changes for British drivers hitting the road on French soil. Whether you’re living in France and need to change your driver’s licence, or planning for your next trip to France – here’s everything you need to know about driving in France after Brexit.

Driving in France For British Expats: Do You Need To Change Your License?

Under the terms of the EU-UK Withdrawal Agreement, British residents in France will need to change their British driving licence for a French one. The good news is that you have until December 31st, 2021, to do this.

To apply, head to the Agence Nationale des titres sécurisés (ANTS) website. You’ll need to submit your current licence (only full UK or Northern Ireland driving licences are accepted), along with evidence of your residence in France, proving that you have lived in France for more than 185 days. Accepted documents include a French tax declaration or avis d’impôt sur le revenue, or proof of registration in the French healthcare system Ameli.

You will also need a photocopy of your passport or ID, proof of address (such as a recent electricity or water bill), and a passport-style photo.

  • UPDATE: As of February 2021, France has paused applications for UK driving license holders. This is apparently because there is still no reciprocal agreement in place between the UK and France. Hopefully, this will be resolved soon and we will continue to update this article as we learn more. Be assured that British licenses are still valid until the end of the year.

Driving in France For UK Residents After Brexit

British holidaymakers or second-home owners visiting France will be pleased to learn that you won’t need an International Driving Licence to be able to legally drive in France.

If you’re travelling by ferry or Eurotunnel and bringing your own car, you will once again be required to display a GB sticker on a UK registered car entering France, but most of the other guidelines set out in our Driving in France section remain the same. The biggest change is that British drivers in France will now be required to carry a Green Card insurance document, to prove your vehicle has the necessary insurance.

Speaking of insurance, be sure to check that your UK car insurance covers you overseas – many companies, including the RAC, have confirmed that they will continue to offer European insurance and breakdown cover.

Renting a Car in France After Brexit

The UK leaving the EU won’t affect car rentals in France, and you won’t need a green card for a rental car within the EU. The exception is if you bring a UK rental car over to France. In that case, you need to confirm that the rental company allows cross-border travel (there might be an extra charge involved) and you will need to carry a green card.

Keep checking this page for the latest news on driving in France after Brexit or head to our Brexit zone to learn more about living, travelling, and buying property in France from now on. 


Moneycorp Banner