Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 231 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #747699
    Avatar
    bodcock
    Participant
    Joined: 12 Jan 2010
    Location: N/A
    Total posts: 33

    I hear the law changed on Jan 1st prohibiting test centres in France giving contrôle techniques to vehicles with UK plates.
    Any truth in this ?
    Doesn’t affect me fortunaterly but intersesting to know


    #950310
    Avatar
    timo6
    Participant
    Joined: 18 Jul 2009
    Location: Crozant, 23160
    Total posts: 58

    You need to have the certificate of Conformity, and have changed the Headlights.


    #950311
    AnOther
    AnOther
    Participant
    Joined: 11 Jan 2008
    Location: W of Cahors (46)
    Total posts: 9455

    It’s pure BS, just think about it.

    If that were the case then nobody could ever import a car over 4 years old from UK, a direct contravention of the basic tenets of the EU.


    #950312
    Redbidet
    Redbidet
    Participant
    Joined: 17 Jul 2003
    Location: EUROPE
    Total posts: 5081

    @another wrote:

    It’s pure BS, just think about it.

    If that were the case then nobody could ever import a car over 4 years old from UK, a direct contravention of the basic tenets of the EU.

    It is true not pure.

    What are the basic tenets of the EU, certainly not that one can drive around in a vehicle registered in an EU country but not complying with the legislation of that country.


    #950313
    AnOther
    AnOther
    Participant
    Joined: 11 Jan 2008
    Location: W of Cahors (46)
    Total posts: 9455

    @redbidet wrote:

    What are the basic tenets of the EU

    You are just being mischievous (again). Who is talking about “driving around in a vehicle registered in an EU country but not complying with the legislation of that country” only you ?

    The basic tenets referred to are the free movement of people and goods which override any colloquial legislation which aims or tends restricts them.


    #950314
    Avatar
    reveuse
    Member
    Joined: 11 Sep 2008
    Location: house in 61, or campervan when working elsewhere in France, Wales, England, NL ...
    Total posts: 587

    @another wrote:

    the free movement of people and goods which override any colloquial legislation which aims or tends restricts them.

    ?????? Could you say that in English please?


    #950315
    AnOther
    AnOther
    Participant
    Joined: 11 Jan 2008
    Location: W of Cahors (46)
    Total posts: 9455

    No problem.

    If local laws or regulations are in conflict with the fundamental principals of free movement of people and goods then generally the latter take preference.

    All individual EU state laws must be construed in that spirit.


    #950316
    Redbidet
    Redbidet
    Participant
    Joined: 17 Jul 2003
    Location: EUROPE
    Total posts: 5081

    It is a simple fact that a CT station in France will no longer CT a non French registered vehicle without presenting a Cert of Conformity


    #950317
    Avatar
    dazcat
    Participant
    Joined: 21 Jun 2007
    Location: Athenry ROI and Charente
    Total posts: 107

    Making it so incredibly complicated to register some vehicles, even those built in UK like our Discovery that had come from Japan, registered in Ireland without difficulty!!!! There are only two tests needed, bruit and emissions but they have to be done by UTAC, seems illogical, anyone able to report on UTAC tests, especially if they managed to get them done recently in Merignac??


    dazcat

    #950318
    AnOther
    AnOther
    Participant
    Joined: 11 Jan 2008
    Location: W of Cahors (46)
    Total posts: 9455

    Where a vehicle was built is largely irrelevant.

    If your Disco was produced for the Japanese market then it will have conformed to the requirements there, French/EU requirements are different.


    #950319
    Avatar
    dolittle
    Participant
    Joined: 06 Jan 2008
    Location: Villeneuve La Comtesse
    Total posts: 109

    If vehicle is post 2002 it will have an E number and therefore no CofC needed for CT this is a fact as I have done this on 3 cars now and have advised 2 friends of the same all of whom have had CT no problem. Before the barrage commences I have then registered the cars in France. phew just thought I would get that in before I had my spleen posted out on the route Nationale.


    Keep positive

    #950320
    Avatar
    anonymous
    Participant
    Joined: 23 Mar 2012
    Location: N/A
    Total posts: 751

    @dolittle wrote:

    If vehicle is post 2002 it will have an E number and therefore no CofC needed for CT this is a fact

    You must be the lucky one then…
    The last 2 cars I’ve had reregistered I couldn’t get a CT without the CoC.
    The last one at the beginning of this year was a Renault :evil::evil:
    And yes I did try different stations


    #950321
    Avatar
    anonymous
    Participant
    Joined: 23 Mar 2012
    Location: N/A
    Total posts: 751

    @dolittle wrote:

    If vehicle is post 2002 it will have an E number and therefore no CofC needed for CT this is a fact

    You must be the lucky one then…
    The last 2 cars I’ve had reregistered I couldn’t get a CT without the CoC.
    The last one at the beginning of this year was a Renault :evil::evil:


    #950322
    Redbidet
    Redbidet
    Participant
    Joined: 17 Jul 2003
    Location: EUROPE
    Total posts: 5081

    I always thought that E numbers related to food additives :?


    #950323
    Grumpy Yorkie
    Grumpy Yorkie
    Participant
    Joined: 30 Jan 2008
    Location: Villeréal, Lot et Garonne
    Total posts: 6782

    Just to get this off my chest ……. and going slightly off-topic as usual, the following is an extract from a For Sale advert from the AI site:

    After extolling the virtues of this “top of the range” camper, the seller then says:

    “The camper was registered in 2001 has good service history with the last service including cam belt and ancillaries completed just 1,500 mile ago at a cost of just over Euros 1,000. Current mileage is 29,000.

    The camper is RHD, still on UK plates and, as it has been in France for the last four years, obviously, no longer has MOT or RFL. My idea is to return it to the UK after the school holidays for sale where these items can be attended to.

    Meanwhile, I thought I might advertise it here in the hope that it may well appeal to someone and save myself the drive back.”

    So, been in France for 4 years, obviously being used – see reference to service etc – and still “UK reg” but without MOT, RFL, CT …… and prsumably insurance which will pay out in the event of a claim.

    Beggars belief, doesn’t it …….. Little Britain abroad.

    Stuart

    oh, and they want €21000 for it!


    Flat cap, whippet, Panda, V8 Jaguar, V12 Mercedes and a '54 Sunbeam Talbot 90 called Josephine (obviously) ................... bloody grand!

Owning a vehicle in France
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 231 total)

You cannot reply to this topic.