France’s Contrôle Technique for Motorbikes & Scooters: New Rules


Essential Reading

France’s Contrôle Technique for Motorbikes & Scooters: New Rules

From April 15th 2024, contrôle techniques, France’s roadworthiness test for vehicles, is now required for all motorbikes and scooters. Here’s what you need to know.

Which motorbikes and motorized vehicles need a controle technique?

All motorized two-wheel, three-wheel or quadicycle vehicles will now need a contrôle technique every three years. The new rule applies to all category L vehicles, including mopeds, motorcycles, scooters, motor tricycles, and light and heavy quadricycles.

Vehicles that are exempt from this include:

  • Collectors vehicles that came into circulation before 1960.
  • Competition motorbikes where the owner has a valid fédération française de motocyclisme.

When do I need to get a contrôle technique?

For new vehicles, the first contrôle technique will be required from 4.5 years after the bike’s original registration date, or, to be exact, six months before the fifth anniversary. So, for vehicles with a 2023 registration date, this won’t concern you until 2027/28.

For older vehicles, the changes are being implemented gradually. The following dates are copied from the official government announcement here:

  • If your vehicle was registered before January 1st, 2017, the first contrôle technique should be carried out no later than December 31st, 2024. If your vehicle was also put into service before January 1st, 2017, and the anniversary date of its first entry into service is before April 15th, the contrôle technique must be carried out between April 15th and August 14th, 2024.
  • If your vehicle was registered between January 1st2017 and December 31st, 2019, the first contrôle technique must be carried out in 2025.
  • If your vehicle was registered between January 1st, 2020 and December 31st, 2021, the first contrôle technique must be carried out in 2026.

What does the contrôle technique involve?

The technical inspection will cover 78 different points, including:

  • the condition of the brakes
  • the absence of excessive polluting and noise emissions
  • the condition of steering equipment (steering wheel, handlebars, column)
  • the operation of lights, reflective devices and electrical equipment
  • the condition of the mirrors
  • the condition of axles, wheels, tyres and suspensions

As with the contrôle technique on cars, when the inspection is complete, the inspector will tell you if your vehicle has passed the test and, if not, the action that needs to be taken. You will also be given a report which lists all defects by severity as follows:

  • Minor Failure: At the time of inspection, it has a negligible impact on vehicle safety or the environment but needs monitoring and probably rectifying before the subsequent CT. Examples of this could be brake pads or tyre wear.
  • Major Failure: That could endanger the safety of the vehicle and its occupants, adversely affect the environment or endanger other road users
  • Critical Failure: The defect poses a direct and immediate threat to road safety or has a serious impact on the environment

In the event of a major or critical failure, the vehicle will not pass its contrôle technique. Instead, a new control, called a counter-visit, must be done after making the necessary repairs or adjustments – typically within two months of the original date.

In the instance of a critical failure, you will no longer be able to use the vehicle from midnight on the day of the check – until the necessary work is carried out

This will be explained to you at the end of the contrôle technique.

How much does the contrôle technique for motorbikes cost?

The cost of a contrôle technique is set by the contrôle technique centre carrying out the work, so it’s important to ask them the price before committing to the inspection.

We expect the cost to be between €50 and €100.

Where can I get a contrôle technique for my motorbike or moped?

As with cars, the contrôle technique must be carried out by a centre that is certified to carry out contrôle techniques – you can’t just go to any garage. Most contrôle technique centres will now also offer motorbike/moped inspections, and you can search for your closest centre here.

Driving in France

Whether you own a car in France, travel to France in your UK or EU-registered car, or hire a rental car – FrenchEntrée has all the need-to-know info about driving in France. Our Essential Reading articles will take you through buying, registering, and insuring your car, as well as offering tips and advice on driving and car ownership in France.

Share to:  Facebook  Twitter   LinkedIn   Email

Previous Article My Village: Montréal, Aude
Next Article News Digest: Control Techniques Now Required for Motorbikes & Final Call for Your French Visa Questions

Related Articles

FrenchEntrée's Digital Editor, Zoë is also a freelance journalist who has written for the Telegraph, HuffPost, and CNN, and a guidebook updater for the Rough Guide to France and Rough Guide to Dordogne & Lot. She lives in the French countryside just outside of Nantes.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


  • Paul
    2024-04-25 09:09:14
    I imported a BMW motorbike into France in July 2023. Its first registration ever was in the UK in 2011. Can you advise when the CT is due eg before December 31st 2024? Thanks