Whether you’re buying a second home in France or looking to invest in real estate, how can you be sure that a property is right for you? Half of the problem is knowing what questions to ask and this can be even more challenging when dealing with a foreign property market and a different language. To help you out, we’ve put together some of the essential questions for French property buyers.
5 Essential Questions for French Property Buyers
- Why are the owners selling?
- How long has the property been on the market?
- Are there any issues that might hold up a sale? (A divorce or inheritance dispute, for example)
- Is the price negotiable and have the vendors had any offers so far?
- Does the advertised price include the estate agent’s commission?
Essential Questions to Ask When Visiting a French Property
- How long has the seller lived in the property?
- Have any works or renovations been carried out on the house?
- Who owns the adjoining land and what is its status (agricultural or constructible)?
- When was the roof/electrics/plumbing last redone?
- Are there any big infrastructure projects planned for the locality (motorways, wind farms, TGV lines, etc)?
- Are there any rights of way over the land?
- What are the neighbours like?
- What is the Wi-Fi connection and phone service like (especially in remote rural areas)?
- How close are the local amenities? Is there public transport available?
- Does the house have mains drainage or a septic tank? (especially for countryside properties)
Before Signing the Compromis de Vente
- Can you see the plans of the property and boundaries?
- Are there any restrictions on planning permissions (especially if you plan on major renovations or building works)?
- What fixtures, fittings and furniture are included in the sale? (i.e. cooker, kitchen and bathroom fittings, light fittings. The French often take everything with them, including the kitchen sink!)
- What are the local rates on property taxes and other charges.
Kick-Start the Buying Process With FrenchEntrée
From planning your property-hunting trip to collecting the keys—FrenchEntrée is here to guide you, advise you, and hold your hand through the entire process. Ready to get started on your property search? Browse our property for sale in locations all over France. Want to make your French property dream a reality? Read our step by step articles on every aspect of the purchase process then check out our property articles for the latest news, insider tips, and expert FAQs.
Better yet, why not become a FrenchEntrée member? It’s completely free to sign up and gives you full access to our property, currency, and mortgage experts.
Leave a reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *