Grants and Subsidies for Domestic Sewage Treatment in France


Essential Reading

Grants and Subsidies for Domestic Sewage Treatment in France
By Tricel

For the rehabilitation of a domestic wastewater treatment system in France, financial help or individual grants exist. The work can represent a significant cost for individuals and some professionals (hotels, B&B, gîtes, camp sites, etc.) therefore, different subsidies and funds have been put in place over the past years to reduce this expense.

Some subsidies are possible for the installation of traditional systems (septic tank with percolation area, sand filter…) and “filières agréées“ (small wastewater treatment plants, compact filter…). These financial helps are subject to conditions.

The homeowner is the project owner, and therefore has the final say on the choice of the system. He must respect the technical constraints linked to his land and the constraints linked to the use of the system.

For all financial help, it is preferable for individuals to first contact their local community, town hall (mairie) and SPANC, to find out what is available locally.

What are the different grants and subsidies available in France?

Individuals who undertake work to rehabilitate their individual sewage treatment system can benefit from various financial aids from:

  • The National Housing Agency (Agence Nationale de l’Habitat (ANAH)
  • The Water Agencies (Agences des eaux)
  • The CAF
  • The Pension Funds (Les fonds de retraite)
  • The General Directorate of Public Finances (La direction générale des finances publiques)
  • Municipalities and groups of municipalities (Les communes et regroupements de communes)
  • Departmental councils (Les Conseils départementaux)

Financial help or subsidies may be available for your domestic sewage treatment in France. It is always preferable for individuals to contact their local community, town hall (marie) and SPANC to find out what is locally available.

The assistance of the CAF (Caisse d’Allocations Familiale) or the pension funds will depend on the personal situation of the individual and his project. It is therefore preferable to contact these organisations to discuss your project. Also, as an expat you might not be able to benefit from those.

Do visit the government’s non-collective sanitation portal for more information.

Grants and Subsidies for Domestic Sewage Treatment in France:

The National Housing Agency (Agence Nationale de L’Habitat (ANAH):

The National Housing Agency can grant subsidies. However, the decision is taken locally according to budgets and territorial guidelines. Individuals should approach their local authorities and see, according to their project and their location.

Water Agency: 6 water agencies cover the whole French territory.

Some of them offer helps or subsidies, but it is first recommended to get in touch with the local authority responsible for wastewater treatment in the municipality where your house/project is located.

  • The Adour-Garonne Water Agency offers some assistance but the Water Agency only grants financial help in the framework of grouped rehabilitation operations. The help is granted to the community which will then manage it on behalf of the individuals. See the details on the website of the water agency.
  • The Artois-Picardie Water Agency offers some assistance, but it is necessary to approach the local authorities. Consult the website and the deliberation and 19-A-067 for non-collective sanitation to know more.
  • The Loire-Bretagne Water Agency can provide, until the end of 2021 and under certain conditions, financial aid for the rehabilitation of domestic sewage treatment system installation. However, the subsidies cannot be allocated directly to individuals, the request for financial assistance must be carried by the competent structure in terms of domestic wastewater treatment. The Loire-Bretagne Water Agency invites you to contact the local authority responsible for sewage treatment in the municipality where your home is located to find out about the wastewater treatment policy in place or under consideration.
  • The Rhin-Meuse Water Agency does not offer assistance. Within the framework of the 11th program of the Rhin-Meuse Water Agency, domestic wastewater treatment is no longer eligible. No assistance is directly addressed to individuals. Valid from January 1, 2019, for 6 years.
  • The Rhône-Méditerranée-Corse Water Agency does not offer assistance. The 11th program of the Rhône-Méditerranée-Corse Water Agency (…) stops supporting domestic sewage treatment systems, in application of ministerial instructions and because of the difficulty in measuring the effects on the environment, even though the cost of management is high and the financial amounts committed during the 10th program were significant. Valid from January 1, 2019, for 6 years.
  • The Seine-Normandie Water Agency does not directly provide financial aid or subsidies to individuals for sewage treatment. Nevertheless, within the framework of a grouped operation of bringing non-collective sewage treatment up to standard and under the control of the community, the water agency is likely to provide assistance. In this case, the water agency advises you to see with your local authority if such operation is envisaged.

Pension Funds – Caisse des retraites

Financial help might be granted for the improvement of your main home. To benefit from this help, you must receive a pension from the general scheme (régime general). These subsidies are granted for work undertaken on the owner’s main residence. Each Caisse des retraites has its own scale, so it is recommended to contact your French Caisse des retraites (if applicable) for your project.

Conseil départemental:

The “Conseil départemental” support rehabilitation projects through the intermediary of the municipalities. Assistance can therefore be offered to homeowners.

Municipalities (Communes et Communautés de Communes):

Some municipalities and groups of municipalities subsidise rehabilitation projects. The SPANC can inform you about the different possible aids.

Advantageous Loans for Sewage Treatment Upgrades:

10% VAT Rate:

Homes (primary or secondary residence) older than 2 years can benefit from the 10% VAT reduction instead of 20%. The homeowner must complete a form to obtain this VAT reduction and must send it to the professional who is undertaking the work. The 10% VAT rate is then applicable.

Eco-Loan at zero rate (Eco-LZR):

This loan is available for the rehabilitation of the domestic wastewater treatment system which do not consume electricity, such as Tricel Seta Simplex and Tricel Seta compact filters.

  • Intended for owner-occupiers or homeowners who rent or commit to renting their property, co-owner (not the syndicate of co-owners) occupier or lenders.
  • The dwelling must have been built at least 2 years ago.
  • The work must be carried out by a craftsman or a building company. The mention of the professional Recognised Guarantor of the Environment (RGE) is not required for this type of work.
  • The maximum amount of the eco-LZR is between 7 000 € and 30 000 € depending on the financed work.

More information on the Public Service website and on the Ministry of Ecological Transition website.

Caisse d’Allocations Familiales (CAF):

The home improvement loan (prêt à l’amélioration de l’habitat (Pah)) is available, under certain conditions, to recipients of benefits. The amount of the loan can cover up to 80% of the total amount of the work. The maximum loan amount is approximately 1,050 euros. The interest rate is fixed at 1% and repayments can be spread over a maximum period of 36 months. Contact your local CAF to find out about possible subsidies for domestic sewage treatment.

Share to:  Facebook  Twitter   LinkedIn   Email

Previous Article Beginner’s Guide to Insurance In France: Home, Car, Health and More
Next Article News Digest: Parliament Agrees New Law on France’s Health Pass

Related Articles

By Tricel