Driving in France After Brexit: 2021 Onwards


Essential Reading

Driving in France After Brexit: 2021 Onwards

Now that the UK has officially left the EU and the transition period is over, there are a few changes for British drivers hitting the road on French soil. Whether you’re living in France and need to change your driver’s licence, or planning for your next trip to France – here’s everything you need to know about driving in France after Brexit.

Driving in France For British Expats: Do You Need To Change Your License?

Under the terms of the EU-UK Withdrawal Agreement, British residents in France do not need to change their British driving licence for a French one if it was issued before January 1st 2021. These licences can be used up until they expire and will need to be exchanged for a French licence only within 6 months before the expiry date. If your licence was issued after January 1st 2021, you will need to change your licence for a French one within one year of living in France. You can read the full details of this agreement in the UK government’s Living in France guide.

To apply, head to the Agence Nationale des titres sécurisés (ANTS) website. You’ll need to submit your current licence (only full UK or Northern Ireland driving licences are accepted), along with evidence of your residence in France, proving that you have lived in France for more than 185 days. Accepted documents include a French tax declaration or avis d’impôt sur le revenue, or proof of registration in the French healthcare system Ameli. You will also need a photocopy of your passport or ID, proof of address (such as a recent electricity or water bill), and a passport-style photo. Read more about this in our article on Changing Your UK Driving Licence in France.

Driving in France For UK Residents After Brexit

British holidaymakers or second-home owners visiting France will be pleased to learn that you won’t need an International Driving Licence to be able to legally drive in France.

If you’re travelling by ferry or Eurotunnel and bringing your own car, you will be required to display a UK sticker on a UK registered car entering France, but most of the other guidelines set out in our Driving in France section remain the same.

Speaking of insurance, be sure to check that your UK car insurance covers you overseas – many companies, including the RAC, have confirmed that they will continue to offer European insurance and breakdown cover.

Renting a Car in France After Brexit

The UK leaving the EU won’t affect car rentals in France, and you won’t need a green card for a rental car within the EU. The exception is if you bring a UK rental car over to France. In that case, you need to confirm that the rental company allows cross-border travel (there might be an extra charge involved) and you will need to carry a green card.

Keep checking this page for the latest news on driving in France after Brexit or head to our Brexit zone to learn more about living, travelling, and buying property in France from now on.

Driving in France

Whether you own a car in France, travel to France in your UK or EU-registered car, or hire a rental car – FrenchEntrée has all the need-to-know info about driving in France. Our Essential Reading articles will take you through buying, registering, and insuring your car, as well as offering tips and advice on driving and car ownership in France.

Share to:  Facebook  Twitter   LinkedIn   Email

More in brexit, driving, driving in france, France after brexit

Previous Article Property Update: 7 of the Prettiest Homes for Sale in France
Next Article Property Update: Practical Advice for French Property Buyers

Related Articles

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


  • iain corrigan
    2022-11-08 07:26:59
    iain corrigan
    Come on FE - don't re-publish stuff that is wrong. This is just lazy. Do I need a GB or UK sticker for driving in France? From 28th September 2021, the distinguishing mark (or national identifier) displayed on vehicles registered in the United Kingdom that are driven abroad will change from GB to UK. This means that vehicles registered in the UK must display the letters “UK” when driven in France.


  •  Joy Harvey
    2021-06-10 06:02:40
    Joy Harvey
    What happens if your uk driving licence expires before Dec 2021,, and you cant apply for a french one.


  • vanman
    2016-10-08 11:01:02
    I think the latest French licences might need to be renewed every five years - at least, mine does, though that might be because in five years time I will be over 70 (assuming I live so long!)


  • JT
    2016-07-22 20:03:56
    Reading the article did not indicate to me,having to re take the driving test at 70 in your home Country but,rather to avoid having to take the test in the Country of residence to exchange licence thus avoiding the need to take a test.


  • TheObserver
    2016-07-15 16:49:23
    A small pedantic correction - you do not need to re-sit your driving test at 70 in the UK, as the article implies. You do however need to renew your licence at 70 and every 3 years thereafter.