Managing Your Finances in France Checklist: Your To-Do List
Whether you’re moving or retiring to France, or purchasing a French property—managing your finances will likely be one of your biggest concerns. From opening a bank account to paying French taxes, there’s a lot to think about and it can be hard to know where to start. Use this handy checklist as a starting point and make sure you’ve covered all bases.
Banking in France
Everything you need to know about opening and managing a bank account in France.
- First things first—read our Beginner’s Guide to Banking in France to understand the basics and find out everything you need to open a French bank account.
- Find out whether you qualify for a resident account or follow our guide to opening a non-resident bank account in France.
- Compare account options, fees, and services, and choose the best French bank for you.
- Make an appointment at your local bank branch to open a current account (read about the whole process in our article on Opening a French Bank Account).
- Prepare the required documents—you’ll need your passport, proof of address, and proof of income.
- Discuss your options with your bank advisor during your meeting and decide upon the best account and ‘formule’ for you. This is the time to request a debit card and chequebook too.
- Complete the application form, sign the contract, and open your French bank account.
- Once your bank account is open, familiarise yourself with your bank’s mobile banking app—learn how to make transfers (virements) and set up direct debits.
- Read our guides to writing a cheque in France, cashing a cheque in France, and using your French bank RIB.
- Consider opening a savings account in France.
Managing Your Finances in France
Expats and retirees in France often have unique needs when it comes to managing their finances. Whether you’re managing cross-currency income or investments, receiving an overseas pension, or looking to protect your wealth when moving to France—we can point you in the right direction.
- If you receive income or have savings in a currency other than the Euro, head over to our Currency Exchange Zone and learn how to get the best rates.
- Retiring to France and receiving an overseas pension? Head to our Pensions Zone to learn more about your options.
- Want advice on protecting your wealth and investing your money wisely in France? Our Wealth Management Zone has all the answers.
- Looking to finance a French property purchase with a French mortgage? Visit our Mortgages Zone to assess your eligibility and prepare your mortgage application.
- Living in France or running a French business? Find out what French taxes you need to pay in our French Tax Zone.
Share to: Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email