Berry pumpkin pie with garlic
Use the last of the pumpkins in this Berrichon recipe.
- Pâte briseé (shortcrust pastry) made with 300g flour, 150g butter, salt, small amount of water
- One small pumpkin
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped parsley
- Beaten egg to glazeMethod:
- The night before, peel the pumpkin and cut into cubes, and place between heavy plates, sprinkling with salt first. This will bring out the juice.
- Make pastry (use ready rolled if you don’t want to make your own).
- Roll out pastry on a floured board and put half into the bottom of a large round pie dish or plate.
- Put the cubed pumpkin onto the pastry, use a little salt and pepper and sprinkle on minced garlic and finely chopped parsley.
- Using a pastry brush, dampen edges of pie with beaten egg and place lid on top, turning sides in to seal.
- Glaze with rest of beaten egg.
- Make a hole in the centre of the pie or use a pie funnel for the steam to escape.
- Place in a hot oven, around 200C, then turn down after 20 minutes to 185C. Cook for around 40 minutes. Pour crème frâiche into the centre when the pie has cooled and serve warm or cold with a crispy bacon salad.