Applying for a Titre de Séjour Under the Withdrawal (Brexit) Agreement


Essential Reading

Applying for a Titre de Séjour Under the Withdrawal (Brexit) Agreement

If you were resident in France before December 31, 2020, you are entitled to apply for a Titre de Séjour under the Withdrawal (Brexit) Agreement. All Brits living in France must apply for this residency permit and you have until September 30th, 2021, to lodge the online application. Here’s how to do it.

Applying for Your Titre de Séjour: Documents Required

  • British passport
  • Any residence permit you currently hold
  • Proof you were living in France prior to 31/12/20 – this can include utility bills to your French address, proof of purchase of your property from a notaire, rental statements, telephone bills or French tax statements, including taxe foncières, or taxe d’habitation.
  • Proof of health cover, either private insurance or a French Carte Vitale
  • Proof of income

If you are employed in France, you will also need a certificate from your employer, or if you are self-employed, proof that you are registered. If you are a student, you will need to show your enrolment in an educational institution and a certificate of regular attendance.

Providing more information than needed is always advisable, as you never know when it might be useful.

Do I Need a Minimum Income to Apply for a Carte de Séjour?

For expats resident in France for more than 5 years before December 2020, there is no minimum income requirement. For those resident for less than 5 years, minimum income requirements must be met. This minimum income is taken based on French RSA guidelines and is currently €564.78 per household (not per individual).

What About Spouses of British Citizens?

Spouses of British citizens can also apply for a Titre de Sejour under the Withdrawal Agreement before July 1, 2021. They should add to the above list a birth certificate and certified French translation and a marriage certificate and certified French translation. Proof of a registered partnership or a duly certified cohabitation relationship is also accepted. Children under 18 do not require a separate residence permit.

Apply Online for Your Titre de Séjour

Once you have gathered this information it can be uploaded through the French Interior Ministry website. Click on the Brexit (Demande de Titre de Sejour) box.

Once your application is uploaded, you’ll receive an email containing a registration number from the French Interior Ministry, advising that your request has been lodged. The file will then be transferred to the prefecture closest to where you live and you will be contacted in due course – don’t worry if this takes several weeks or even a few months. Some areas are getting through applications quicker than others, but as long as you have received your registration number, you can be sure that your application has been received.

If your application is incomplete or extra documents are needed, you will be informed via email.

Interviewing for Your Titre de Séjour

Successful applicants will receive an email with a date and time to attend an ‘interview’ at your prefecture. Your email should also detail what you need to take and this may be different to other applicants, so don’t worry if you and your friends or spouse have different requirements.

You will need to take your passport, 2 x passport-style photographs, and possibly copies of your employment or residency information. It’s a good idea to take copies of your proof of income or any other documents they might request too – it’s always better to be overprepared!

During the ‘interview’ you will be asked for the required documents, you will have your fingerprints taken, and you will sign the application form. You may be asked a few additional questions, but don’t worry – this part of the procedure is mostly a formality. There are no ‘interview’ requirements to receive your Carte de Séjour and as long as you provide all the required information, you are unlikely to run into any problems.

When Will I Receive My Carte de Séjour?

After your interview, you will receive your Carte de Séjour within three weeks and it will be delivered to your home address. A signature and ID is required to receive the letter (yes, even under Covid regulations, it must be signed for!) so if you are not home, you’ll have to go and pick it up from the post office (be sure to take your ID with you!).

The French Government is aiming to process all applications by October 1, 2021, although different prefectures are processing them at different speeds. Residence permits granted under this system are currently free of charge.

What else do British expats in France need to do post-Brexit?

Check out our 2021 checklist or learn more about your rights for living in France after Brexit.

Moving to France after December 31, 2020

If you moved to France after December 31, 2020, you will be subject to a different process, the same as for other third-country nationals (e.g. Australians/US citizens/Canadians/New Zealanders). You will first need to apply for a long-stay visa in France and this can later be transferred into a residency permit or Carte de Séjour.

Share to:  Facebook  Twitter   LinkedIn   Email

Previous Article Life After Brexit: Living the ‘La Grue’ Dream
Next Article News Digest: France “Emerging Sustainably from Health Crisis”

Related Articles

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


  •  Dawn Robertson
    2021-10-20 05:09:46
    Dawn Robertson
    Lived in France for over six years & have a carte de sejour until 2024. Returned to Scotland due to Brexit but now sold house in Scotland & in process of buying a house in France to return to live permanently. I run a publishing business & have three French books to publish along with my work on Scottish/British titles. My son, over 18, is moving with me (he has 1st class degree & masters) & is planning to research for a doctorate in EU. Can I extend my carte de sejour to include him so that it's easier for him to work/study?


    • Zoë Smith
      2021-11-04 21:56:11
      Zoë Smith
      Hi Dawn, If you are a recipient of a Carte de Sejour under the Withdrawal Agreement, there may be a possibility for your son to join you if he is under 21 - you can read more about that here: Otherwise, he will need to apply the relevant long-stay visa to work or study in France - more about that here: Best, Zoe