Importing a UK Vehicle and Registering it in France After Brexit


Essential Reading

Importing a UK Vehicle and Registering it in France After Brexit

If you are moving to France and want to bring your UK vehicle with you or plan to purchase a new car in the UK and import it to France, you probably have a lot of questions about how to go about this. Will you need to change your headlights? How do you obtain a Carte Grise? What is a Certificate of Conformity? And with the UK now outside of the EU, does this mean you’ll be hit with extra VAT and customs charges? Here’s everything you need to know about importing a UK vehicle and registering it in France, including post-Brexit changes.

In this article:
Importing a UK Vehicle to France: the basics
Will you need to change the headlights on your UK car?
How to obtain your Carte Grise
How much does a Carte Grise cost?
Documents needed to import a UK vehicle to France
Does your UK vehicle need a Control Technique?
How to obtain a Certificate of Conformity
Post-Brexit customs charges and VAT: obtaining a 846 A
Importing a Car or Vehicle from an EU country

Importing a UK Vehicle to France: the basics

Registering a UK car or vehicle in France is a relatively straightforward process, although it does require a number of different documents and there are a number of potential costs to factor in. This procedure applies to anyone living or intending to live in France, as well as second home owners wishing to permanently maintain a vehicle at their French property.

The basic steps are as follows. All steps are explained in more detail throughout this article.

Before bringing the vehicle to France:

  • Ensure you have all the relevant documents needed to register your UK car in France (full list below).
  • Change your headlights (if applicable) and check that your car speedometer has a km reading (if not, this will need to be fitted)

On arrival in France:

  • Contact your local customs office to obtain your 846 A certificate
  • Book your car in for Control Technique (if required)
  • Apply for your Carte Grise
  • When you have received your Carte Grise, request your French number plates

FrenchEntrée tip: Do not leave it until the last minute to get your documents together – some documents, in particular the Certificate of Conformity on older vehicles, can take some time to get hold of. If you are considering buying a new car, take a good look at the list before purchasing and be sure that all documents can be obtained before buying.

Will you need to change the headlights on your UK car?

One question that keeps coming up is whether you will need to change the headlamps on your UK car when importing it to France. In order to pass a Control Technique in France, the headlamps on your car will need to meet French standards – a deflection sticker will not suffice.

Whether or not your headlamps can be adjusted for Left-hand-drive or need to be completely replaced depends upon the vehicle and headlamps in question. Our recommendation is to find this out before you decide to import a vehicle from the UK.

FrenchEntrée Tip: Replacing headlamps can cost upwards of €500 and it is worth comparing prices in both the UK and France as, depending on the make of the vehicle, you may find one is much cheaper than the other. If purchasing a new vehicle in the UK, consider negotiating the headlamps into the sale price.

How to obtain your Carte Grise

Once the vehicle has arrived in France, you must register it and obtain a Carte Grise (Certificat d’Immatriculation) – this is France’s Vehicle Registration Document. You have one month in which to obtain the Carte Grise after arriving in France or four months if your vehicle requires a single vehicle approval inspection (see the section below on ‘How to obtain a Certificate of Conformity).

In the case of a trailer/caravan, if its gross weight is under 500kg then it does not need to be registered and it only needs to display the number plate of the towing vehicle.

The process for applying for a Carte Grise is now carried out online not at your local prefecture (although they should still be able to advise you if you need extra help). The application process is simple, but when importing a UK vehicle there is a long list of required documents and obtaining all of them can sometimes take time.

FrenchEntrée Tip: Websites such as can be a big help with this process – their online platform allows you to add and save all your documents for your Carte Grise and/or license plates. They also have a free English language helpline.

How much does a Carte Grise cost?

The costs of a Carte Grise include 4 different taxes and a fee, the most significant of which are the regional tax (taxe régionale) and the pollution/carbon emissions tax (taxes sur les véhicules polluants).

Regional tax (taxe régionale)

The regional tax is based on each (department) region has a base level tax (the ‘cheval fiscal’) typically between €27 and €52) which is then multiplied by the vehicle’s ‘puissance fiscal’ (PF), calculated according to the vehicle’s Horsepower and Carbon Emission (gr/km). There are other factors at play here too, including a 50% reduction for vehicles over 10 years old, an exemption for electric- and hydrogen-powered vehicles, and 50% or 100% exemptions for E85, GPL, and hybrid versions.

The example given on the French government website is a petrol car under 3.5 tonnes, with a taxable horsepower of 5 and a carbon emission rating of 103 g/km de CO2 registered in the Île-de-France department, would total: 231€

Pollution tax (taxes sur les véhicules polluants)

If you are looking to register a new vehicle, especially a petrol or diesel car with a high CO2 emission rate, perhaps the most significant cost will be the pollution tax. This ranges from 0€ for vehicles under 133 CO₂ to a whopping €30,000 for a vehicle over 218+ CO₂.

The good news for owners of used vehicles is that this tax is no longer applicable to used vehicles since 1st January 2021.

FrenchEntrée Tip: Get an estimation of the registration costs of your vehicle before you import it to avoid any unwelcome surprises. This is especially important if you’re looking to purchase a new petrol or diesel vehicle with high carbon emissions. This online Carte Grise calculator will do the maths for you.

Documents needed to import a UK vehicle to France

The following documents are required for all UK registered vehicles, new and used, being brought into France from 1st January 2021 onwards. Note that these documents have changed from those required prior to Brexit.

  • Your passport and valid driver’s licence
  • Proof of your French address, e.g. a utility bill less than 6 months old
  • Green Card insurance or proof of car insurance
  • Vehicle registration document or V5C (or export certificate if the registration document has been retained by the original issuing authority). You must complete the ‘permanent export’ section of the certificate. If you are purchasing the vehicle, you must also complete the ‘New Keeper’ section.
  • Dated and signed Application for Registration of the Vehicle in France  which you can download here: Demande de certificat d’immatriculation (Cerfa 13750*05)
  • Car Bill of Sale – if you have bought the car from someone else. If the vehicle registration document is already in your name, then no further proof is required
  • Signed ‘Mandat d’immatriculation (Cerfa 13757*03)’ form
  • Certificate of Conformity (see the below section on ‘How to obtain a Certificate of Conformity’ for more details)
  • Import tax Certificate or 846 A (see the below section on ‘Post-Brexit customs charges and VAT: obtaining a 846 A’)
  • Control Technique certificate (French ‘MOT’) no older than 6 months (if applicable)

Does your UK vehicle need a Control Technique?

All cars older than 4 years old in France must have a Control Technique (the French version of an M.O.T), which is carried out every 2 years. If you are importing a UK vehicle to France, the same rules apply – any car older than 4 years must pass a Control Technique and you will need this to apply for your Carte Grise.

Post Brexit changes: Prior to Brexit, a British M.O.T certificate under 6 months old was valid for used cars being imported to another EU country. From 2021 onwards this is no longer the case, and all cars will older than 4 years need a French Control Technique certificate.

You should try to book your Control Technique as soon as possible when your vehicle arrives in France, which can be done directly through your local Control Technique centre. You will need your Vehicle registration document and will likely also be asked to present your Certificate of Conformity. Tests typically cost between €65 to €100, and if your car does not pass you will be given 2 months to carry out the necessary work on your car and return for a retest.

Locate your local Control Technique centre.

FrenchEntrée tip: Change or adjust the headlights of your vehicle before going for your Control Technique – you don’t want to waste time and money having to take your vehicle back for a retest.

How to obtain a Certificate of Conformity

All vehicles brought into France from overseas are required to have a Certificate of Conformity, which confirms that the vehicle conforms with EC Type Approval (the standard required within the EU).

The availability of a Certificate of Conformity depends upon the type and age of your vehicle/trailer.

If you have a:

  • passenger car from 1998 onwards
  • motorcycle from 2002 onwards
  • camping car from around 2002 onwards
  • panel van under 3500kg from 2010 onwards

then you obtain an ‘EU certificate of conformity’ from the manufacturer/importer’s head office in the country where the vehicle is currently registered.

Since 2016, the situation for motorcycles is that unless fitted with ABS, it is a legal requirement that they are limited to 106 bhp, and therefore the owner must take the necessary steps to restrict the power. It will also be necessary to ensure the correct headlamp and speedometer reading in KPH are fitted.

If you have a:

  • passenger car prior to 1998
  • motorcycle prior to 2002
  • panel van under 3500kg prior to 2010
  • trailer or caravan over 500kg on commercial sale in France

then you obtain an ‘attestation d’identification’ from the manufacturer/importer’s French head office. For motorcycles, the importer will also require a dealer letter confirming that the engine output is below 106bhp and that the headlamp and speedometer are configured for use in France.

If you have a:

  • ‘grey’ import, e.g. a vehicle originally built solely for the Japanese or US home markets
  • vehicle modified to run on LPG
  • camping car prior to around 2002
  • commercial vehicle with a non-factory built body, e.g. a horsebox
  • trailer or caravan over 500kg not on commercial sale in France
  • modified/rebuilt vehicle/kit car

then you will need to submit it for a DREAL single vehicle approval inspection, provide certain technical documentation and, in some cases, submit the vehicle for additional tests before your vehicle/trailer can be approved. The conformity certificate (procès-verbal de titre isolé) is issued by the DREAL after completion of the inspection.

How to obtain a Certificate of Conformity after Brexit

With the UK now outside the EU, it will no longer be a requirement for cars manufactured from 2021 onwards to conform to EC Type Approval. In reality, this is unlikely to change anything and shouldn’t prevent you from obtaining a Certificate of Conformity, but if you are looking to purchase a new car in the UK and intend to import it to France or might do so in the future, it’s worth asking this question before buying.

Post-Brexit customs charges and VAT: obtaining an 846 A

The biggest change for UK vehicle owners importing a car to France since Brexit is the possible addition of customs duties (droits de douane) and VAT (TVA), but what does this mean in practice?

From 1st Jan 2021, all UK registered non-commercial vehicles being imported to France will require an 846A certificate (Certificat de dédouanement). This is issued by your local customs office (in France) which you can look up here. You will need to send them two copies of the Déclaration d’entrée en France en franchise de biens personnels en provenance de pays tiers à l’Union Européenne, along with a copy of your proof of former residence in the UK, the Vehicle Registration certificate, and the Car Bill of Sale. You will then be informed of any customs or tax payable and, upon receipt of payment, will be sent your 846A certificate.

Customs duties and taxes on new vehicles after Brexit

For new vehicles bought in the UK and imported into France, expect to pay customs duties of 10% and 20% VAT. Note that the VAT on a new purchase intended for export will be paid in the country of registration (France) not in the UK (so you won’t be paying the VAT twice!). However, you must declare your intention to export the vehicle at the time of purchase.

Customs duties and taxes on used vehicles after Brexit

An important exception is made for a used vehicle that is currently in your possession if you move residence to France. For example, a UK resident that moves permanently to France and wants to bring their car with them. You must have owned the car for at least 6 months prior to moving to France and must declare the vehicle on your inventory of goods when moving to France. In this case, an exemption is made and the vehicle will not be subject to custom duties or taxes.

However, for used vehicles bought in the UK (for example, by a person already resident in France) and imported to France, customs duties of 10% will also be applied. You will also be liable to pay 20% VAT in the country of registration (i.e. France). If you are buying the car from a UK dealer, be sure to let them know that the vehicle is intended for exportation – this means that they can zero-charge the VAT (i.e. you will purchase the vehicle in the UK free from VAT, but instead will pay the VAT in France on importation).

For used cars bought from a private seller, where VAT would not normally be applied, you will still be subject to the 20% importation VAT when importing the car to France, so be sure to account for this when budgeting for your purchase. Alternatively, you could look at buying a second hand car in France.

FrenchEntrée Tip: If you’re buying a new or used car in the UK for export to France, always declare that the car is for export and insist that the seller zero-charge VAT. Otherwise, you will have to pay the VAT twice (both in the UK, then upon import to France) and subsequently request a refund on the VAT paid in the UK. Not only does this require sufficient funds, but it’s a time-consuming process that is best avoided.

Importing a Car or Vehicle from an EU country

The above procedure is more or less the same for importing a vehicle from any EU country, except that the import tax certificate required is different. If your vehicle is currently registered in another EU member state, then you will need a ‘quittus fiscal’ which you can obtain from your local tax office on production of the vehicle registration document and proof of address.

For vehicles imported in the EU, the following rules apply:

Used vehicles. There should not be any VAT or customs charges applicable to vehicles imported from another EU country.

New vehicles. VAT rules require that a new vehicle is taxed in the country in which it is to be registered. Thus if you import a new car (less than 6 months/6000km old), then VAT is due in France. It should therefore be bought VAT free in the country of purchase to avoid paying VAT twice and having to try and reclaim it from the country of origin.

What else has changed in France after Brexit?

What else has changed for British expats or second-home owners in France after Brexit? Head to our Brexit zone to learn more about living, travelling, and property in France from 2021 onwards.

Driving in France

Whether you own a car in France, travel to France in your UK or EU-registered car, or hire a rental car – FrenchEntrée has all the need-to-know info about driving in France. Our Essential Reading articles will take you through buying, registering, and insuring your car, as well as offering tips and advice on driving and car ownership in France.

Share to:  Facebook  Twitter   LinkedIn   Email

More in Carte grise, Certificate de Conformity, DREAL, DRIRE, immatriculation, importing vehicle, motorbike, motorcycle, registration, type approval

Previous Article Running a Gîte During the Pandemic: Top Tips To Protect Your Business
Next Article Mood Booster News: “Experimental concerts” in Paris and Marseille!

Related Articles

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


  •  Nick
    2022-12-14 10:42:40
    I want to bring my classic car and register it is France. The car has been in secure storage in the UK since before Brexit What costs are involved and what is the procedure


  •  Clare McGeehan
    2022-10-18 02:17:11
    Clare McGeehan
    Hello, I wonder if you are importing your car do you need an CT less than 6 months old? I am sure you need it to sell your car but is it needed just to register? Thanks


  • Kevin
    2022-09-06 02:39:47
    Really interesting article. We're interested in buying a RHD motorhome registered in France to use in France and subsequently export to New Zealand. Where would we look on line for a RHD vehicle or are there dealers who deal in RHD motorhomes? Have tried leboncoin abd but nothing.


  • Derek Slater
    2022-08-24 02:35:34
    Derek Slater
    During a search I came across your article concerning the current state of affairs for importing a vehicle into France. Can you say if it is importing a vehicle if the vehicle concerned was taken from the UK to France 10 years ago? Furthermore, the vehicle in question is a caravan. I am having issues in registering my caravan for a carte grise. The previous owner took it from the UK 10 years ago and only used it for static accommodation on his own land. ANTS staff were initially helpful, although I had to tell them one piece of legislation that I found out from a French civilian source, and tell me that the previous owner, as importer, must apply for a carte grise. They are unbending on this despite my having explained that the previous owner is undergoing chemotherapy, some of that treatment was in an English hospital, and that the only reason that I met him was due to the purchase of his caravan. I contacted the quittus fiscal office and learned that, not having an engine, my trailer does not require a quittus fiscal. This was not information provided by ANTS; they are demanding a douane application by the previous owner. The Certificate of European conformity is proving to be a problem due to the age of the vehicle. I must contact DREAL. However, DREAL can only give me an appointment without actually proving the information online as to what the appointment is for. This is what I learned from the French dealer and passed on to ANTS staff. Their reaction was pretty much "well, of course. Didn't you know?" Therefore, back to my original enquiry; is it importing if the vehicle in question came from an EU country to an EU country? Thanks in advance.


  • Wendy Welch
    2022-08-08 09:41:26
    Wendy Welch
    Your info is completely wrong. 1)You cannot legally register a car in france unless you are a primary resident. If you do, you invalidate any insurance you may have. 2) headlights do NOT have to be changed to comply with eu standards. Beam benders are accepted for ct if they are correctly positioned. Both these rules can be found online from gov sources with the minimum research. You info /article is giving incorrect info which could dupe someone to register a car illegally, therefore be totally unaware that they were driving around uninsured and also those legally registering uk car, to spend unneccessary money to change uk rhd headlights to lhd when beam benders are acceptable.


    • Zoë Smith
      2022-08-09 09:40:46
      Zoë Smith
      Hi Wendy,
      In order to register a car in France, you must have proof of a home or permanent address in France. However, while it is assumed that this means you must be resident in France, a residency card or proof of tax residence in France is not required and therefore many second-home owners do maintain a French-registered car at their French address. You can see the rules here, and I've copied the relevant section below (translated to English):
      "What does the law say? The Highway Code, and more particularly Article R322-1, stipulates that "any owner of a vehicle who wishes to drive on public roads must send a registration application to the prefect of the department of his choice by proving his identity and domicile in France". There is therefore no ambiguity: to be able to register a vehicle in France if you live abroad, you must have a home on French soil. It can be a domicile with a third party, or your own home. You must therefore provide proof of residence."
      If you do so, it is important to ensure you have valid insurance to cover the car, but again, the same rules apply. Note that this option is not recommended if you intend to travel to and from France with the vehicle - for example, between France and the UK - in this instance, your car and insurance should match up with your place of residence to avoid any potential confusion at the borders.

      Regarding the headlights, as we state in the article "Whether or not your headlamps can be adjusted for Left-hand-drive or need to be completely replaced depends upon the vehicle and headlamps in question. Our recommendation is to find this out before you decide to import a vehicle from the UK." Best regards, Zoe


  •  Ness
    2022-08-07 04:21:53
    You talk about importing cars What about lorries and large live in vehicles.. cat C entitlement required to drive.. size.. ?? Is this possible ? Can the licence plates be changed to French ones ?. Thank you in advance for your assistance


  •  Jason Smith
    2022-08-05 12:10:30
    Jason Smith
    Useful and informative content. Thanks for sharing it!!


    • Wendy Welch
      2022-08-08 09:48:19
      Wendy Welch
      This article gives incorrect info. Only primary residents can legally register cars , not 2nd home owners. Even french citizens can only register cars to their residence principal, not a 2nd home or hol home in france. Also for those resident, trying to legally register their uk car, the headlights do not need changing by law. Beam benders are legally accepted by law, and should pass ct. If a ct centre refuses to pass correctly positioned beam benders, they do not know the rules!


      • Zoë Smith
        2022-08-09 09:44:15
        Zoë Smith
        Hi Wendy, please see my response to your previous comment. Best, Zoe


  • John Bradshaw
    2022-08-01 09:52:59
    John Bradshaw
    I registered my U.K. registered car,, in France in 2017. I chased the illusive Certificate of Conformity and could only acquire a copy if I paid for it. However I discovered that all you need to do is check to see if Box 2 on the U.K. V5 has a number entered by DLVA. If there is a number shown, this is the conformity. I submitted this to the Prefecture and they registered my vehicle without question and a CoC was not required.


    •  Phoebe
      2022-10-06 04:47:23
      Apologise but can you clarify what box 2 is please? I am looking at my V5C and do not see that highlighted/title at all. Thanks


      •  John Bradshaw
        2022-10-28 03:07:50
        John Bradshaw
        Hi Phoebe, sorry for the delay in reply. ‘Box 2’ is the second line on the V5 at the top left of the form. Marked with the number 2. If there is quite a long number with letters to the right of the 2 that is the conformity. If there is not a number to the right of the 2 you will need a Cert of Conformity. It does not tell you or indicate this is a conformity number it is just printed there. Kind regards.


        •  veronique
          2022-12-30 11:05:20
          Hello, like Phoebe, I can't see what your refer to as box 2 on the V5? Could you be more specific ? Is it the oval stamp on the top left of the V5 first page?


    2022-07-26 04:41:29
    Right i am sorry but are we being stupid but how the hell do we get a 846A!!!! do we get a french mot first, we are so confused


    • Zoë Smith
      2022-07-29 14:09:52
      Zoë Smith
      HI CJ, You need to contact your local customs office in France - you can search for that here: All the best, Zoe


  • William Platt
    2022-06-06 06:08:06
    William Platt
    A friend is having trouble to get a French registration on his 2016 Mitsubishi twin cab 1200. He has all the documents, certificate of conformity, control technique etc but has been given a temporary ww registration for 4 months. The DREAL in Brittany have told him he must take it somewhere near Paris for a test. This is a long way from central Brittany. The test might take 2-3 days and cost over 2000 euros plus hotel. What is the way to proceed?


  •  van check
    2022-05-26 01:42:23
    van check
    I think it would be very useful information to me because the past week I asked my friend about this by god's grace i able to see this post today. Thank you


    2022-02-17 11:04:16
    Hello I am resident in France since 2006. Over the years I have imported about 10 cars from uk for my own use,as I prefer RHD cars. I am looking for clarity which is very difficult. How can it be legal for France to charge vat on a used car when it has already been paid into a member state ie UK pre brexit? In your article you say that it is possible to reclaim vat from the uk but as there is no vat on used cars in uk (they operate the margin scheme based on a dealers profit) does this mean you can reclaim the vat that was charged when the car was first registered? No body seems to have an answer to this question just lots of opinions-even the French are not clear. I was a car dealer in uk so am fully versed with the iniquities of the vat system!


    • Zoë Smith
      2022-02-17 12:01:57
      Zoë Smith
      Hi Ian, As far as I was aware VAT is charged on used cars sold by a car dealer to a private buyer in the UK, just as it is in all EU countries - however, I am certainly not an expert on UK car VAT!! Regardless of the UK's VAT laws, France retains the right to charge VAT on an imported car such as this (i.e. a car purchased overseas with the intention to import it to France, not a personal vehicle being imported) as the VAT is payable in the country of registration. This would also apply to a car being imported from another non-EU country, such as the United States. So, either you would be able to reclaim the VAT if you have already paid it, or if you hadn't paid it, you would be liable to pay if you decide to import the car to France. Best regards, Zoe


  • Andrew Standen-McDougal
    2021-11-29 03:40:26
    Andrew Standen-McDougal
    Dear Sirs I have recently bought a Swiss registered car in the UK for my daughter to take back to France in January where she has a carte de sejour. Is it sensible to register the car in the UK and then register it in France when she arrives there or should she register the car for France now? Your help and advice would be most appreciated. Andrew


  •  MARTY
    2021-11-19 09:04:12
    Dear Sirs, my partner (UK-citizen) and I (French living in South West of France) bought a French registered car (second hand car) at a UK-car dealer. Preparing the papers to go back to France (end of November) with the car , I have been told we will have to pay the V.A.T (2O %) and the tax fees (1O % ) + custom agent (fees -roughly 80 euros). I was surprised to have to pay the French V.A.T. as the car is French registered. It has been brought before Brexit to the UK by a couple of UK citizens who decided to stay in UK (family matters). they partly exchanged it with a UK - car... is it "legal" as the French VAT has been paid at the first registration in France in 2018 ? the car is for my partner who would like to drive it in France, I have my own car) but I do the papers for him. The French paperasse is complicated enough. do I have to declare anything at the UK - border (Portsmouth) ? thank you for your comments best regards C M


    •  Mustapha
      2022-01-01 10:27:58
      Hi if the car is French registered all you need to do is have papier de vente on your name get it insured with French insurance broker on line book your ferry ticket and sail through once in France apply for your carte grise.


    2021-11-17 11:37:51
    With regards to importing a used car from UK to France bought from a dealer it will not be possible to reclaim VAT as cars are sold on the margin scheme meaning VAT is charged only on the dealers profit margin and not on the cost of the car


  •  logbook check
    2021-11-13 06:35:29
    logbook check
    The article is very informative for me and it clarifies a many things thank you


  •  john montgomery
    2021-10-10 01:16:59
    john montgomery
    where do I stand with taking my classic motorcycles when I move to France ???


  • Steven Langston
    2021-09-29 07:05:59
    Steven Langston
    I am confused. If I want to bring a car over that I had in the Uk for many years(non drivable, awaiting restoration), but sat in a garage for the past 5 years that I have been living in france, can I ship to france without being questioned? And pay the duty and vat when the restoration is completed? The problem is the value will then have increased. How do I do it? Do I ship the car to a customs office in france and have them deal with the calculations for the duty and vat? Any ideas?


  •  Christine Ward
    2021-07-22 02:49:10
    Christine Ward
    I am totally confused by the ‘Declaration d’entrée en Franchise de biens personnels en provenance de pays tiers á l’Union Européenne’ I want to import a vehicle and can locate nothing relevant on this form that applies to my request. Can anyone help ?


  • john chilton
    2021-07-21 03:26:17
    john chilton
    Hi, Customs duties and taxes on used vehicles after Brexit. Above mentions that "An important exception is made for a used vehicle that is currently in your possession if you move residence to France. For example, a UK resident that moves permanently to France and wants to bring their car with them. You must have owned the car for at least 6 months prior to moving to France and must declare the vehicle on your inventory of goods when moving to France. In this case, an exemption is made and the vehicle will not be subject to custom duties or taxes." Does anyone have any experience or an example of a completed Cerfa 10070 form and a customs inventory list? Would be much appreciated


    •  Barbara Byng
      2022-12-17 10:02:05
      Barbara Byng
      If we as second home owners in France bring our UK carto France are we exempt from VAT in the same way as if we were French residents?


  • MGPB1936
    2018-11-06 11:08:21
    Hello, I've moved my 1950's classic sportscar to France and would like advice on Insurance, Historic vehicles registration and anything else that would be useful. Thanks Richard


  • dogrose
    2018-10-27 18:15:58
    As a disabled person I was exempt from road tax in UK. I am in the process of applying to import my car into France and get a carte grise, via the ANTS site. Does any exemption exist in France for disabled people? I can't see any such information on the site.


  • Bluehoopa
    2018-04-22 17:23:11
    Did you ever find the designated place?


    • Char
      2018-04-22 18:08:10
      Hi - the link is in the article above it's this site;


  • Liblob2018
    2018-02-03 10:40:09
    If one is on an extended holiday in France, ie 3 - 6 months... is it necessary to register the vehicle with the authorities ?. Any advice gratefully received.


  • rocketman
    2017-12-14 19:30:30
    I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but, I hear the rules have changed regarding registering a uk vehicle in France. Apparently you no longer can take your paperwork to the prefecture but to a designated garage where they do all the necessary work to get you your new carte grisse is this correct We tried to find the designated place but the link came up with a blank page and the chap at the controlle technique new nothing of this change Yours hopefully Garry


      2021-11-17 11:41:51
      It is all done online via the ANTS site. Or any reasonable sized dealer will be able to help and probably charge you a modest fee


      •  Jean
        2022-07-10 04:33:06
        Well if ever you need the certifcat de non gage which necessary when you sell a car in france , you can get it on