We all look forward to trying the local delicacies when on holiday in France and Nice on the French Riviera has plenty for foodies to get their teeth into!
• Socca – a pancake made from chickpea flour, usually sold as a snack. Ready to eat seasoned simply with salt and pepper.
• Pissaladière – a delicious onion tart served in slices and garnished with black olives and anchovies.
• Beignets de fleurs de courgettes – courgette flowers, battered and fried.
• Soupe au pistou – vegetable soup topped with a little basil pesto.
• Ratatouille – a stew made from roasted vegetables such as courgettes, onions, tomatoes, peppers and aubergines.
• Salade Niçoise – a meal in itself! The exact recipe is subject to interpretation but generally includes: black olives, hard boiled eggs, tuna or anchovies, green beans and potatoes on top of lettuce and tomatoes.
• Daube Niçoise – a beef stew often enjoyed with pasta.
• Poulet à la Niçoise – a chicken dish with peppers.
• Mesclun – these young salad leaves are served as a side.
• Rosé – the local Côtes de Provence wine makes a tasty apéritif and goes well with salads too.
Staying in self-catered accommodation or planning a picnic? Try the market!
• Cours Saleya, Tues – Sun (6am – 1pm)
• Place du Général de Gaulle, Tues – Sun (6am – 1.30pm)
Restaurants in Nice
These are concentrated in three main areas: the Cours Saleya, Place Rossetti and the Zone Piétonne.
The Chantecler at Le Negresco hotel on the Promenade des Anglais has a Michelin star.
Leave a reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *