Everything You Need for Post-Brexit Travel Between France & UK: Document Checklist


Essential Reading

Everything You Need for Post-Brexit Travel Between France & UK: Document Checklist

Now that the UK is no longer in the EU, there are a number of differences to take into account when travelling between France and the UK, and a substantial amount more paperwork is needed than before.

To eliminate any confusion, we’ve put together this guide with everything you need to know about customs restrictions, passports, and border requirements post-Brexit. We’ve even included a handy checklist at the end to make sure you don’t forget anything.

Passports, Visas, and Travel Requirements for 2024

What are the changes regarding your travel documents and visa requirements now that the UK has left the EU?

I’m a British citizen and wish to travel to France:

As a British citizen travelling to France post-Brexit, there are three main changes to be aware of:

  1. Your Passport

Since the UK left the EU, new navy blue British passports are now available. However, if you still hold a valid EU-style burgundy passport, this will remain valid until it expires, so there is no need to change your passport. More importantly, in order to travel to the EU, you should have more than six months left on your passport before the expiry date.

The official wording for this (see here) is that your passport must be :

  • valid for at least three months after the day you plan to leave France or any other Schengen country
  • less than 10 years old (the three months you need when leaving a country must be within 10 years of the passport issue date).

Read our article Is Your British Passport Valid After Brexit?

  1. Your Travel Health Insurance

Post-Brexit, British citizens can no longer apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). However, current EHICs will remain valid until their expiration date, and British citizens will still be able to benefit from reciprocal emergency travel health insurance through the use of either a current EHIC or by applying for a GHIC (Global Health Insurance Card) – see our article on the EHIC and GHIC for more details.

It’s important to note that a GHIC is not a replacement for travel insurance (more on this in a moment).

  1. Your right to travel to the EU

As the UK is no longer in the EU, British citizens can only travel to France and the EU for a period of 90 days within every 180 days without a visa. It’s important to understand how the 90/180 days in the EU are calculated as it can be a bit confusing, and it is your responsibility to ensure that you do not overstay the 90 days – fines apply if you do, and multiple overstays may lead to further problems.

Your passport will be stamped each time you enter and leave the Schengen Area, and supporting documents may be required (more on that in a moment).

If you wish to stay longer than this, you must apply for a visa in the UK. Our complete guide to French visas will help you decide if you need a visa and what kind of visa you need.

I’m a British citizen resident in France and wish to travel to the UK

If you are a British citizen (i.e. you still travel using a British passport) but are also a permanent resident in France, there are also new rules to be aware of when you travel between the UK and your home in France.

The above-mentioned rules regarding your British passport also apply to you, so you should ensure you have at least six months validity on your passport before travelling (if not, you can renew your British passport from France). You are not subject to the 90-day when returning to France, but you must always travel with your Titre de Sejour (residency card) in order to prove this (more on this in the border section below).

As a French resident, you are also entitled to apply for an EHIC in France (find out how to do that here), which will cover you for essential healthcare while visiting the UK. Note that as a non-resident UK citizen, you do not have a right to use the NHS when travelling in the UK without this card (an exception to this is holders of an UK-issued S1 form).

Travelling with French friends or family

It’s also worth mentioning that if you travel to the UK with friends or family members who are French citizens or citizens of another EU country, they will now need a valid passport in order to enter the UK (it was previously possible to travel using their National ID card). However, they won’t need a visa to visit for tourism purposes for up to six months, and they will also be covered by their EHIC.

Border Control: What To Expect When Travelling Between France and the UK

Whether arriving at an airport, ferry port, or Eurotunnel station, British citizens arriving in France will no longer be able to use the passport control lanes reserved for EU, EEA and Swiss citizens. There are also additional documents that you will need to show when you arrive at border control. Here’s what you need to know.

I’m a UK resident travelling to France

If you are a British citizen and UK resident coming to France for under 90 days, we’ve already established that you do not need a visa to enter France. However, you should bring with you the following:

  • Proof of accommodation (options listed below)
    • Proof of second home ownership (for example, a recent electricity or property tax bill, or copy of the deeds)
    • Proof of your hotel, Airbnb, gite, or other accommodation reservation
    • An ‘attestation d’accueil’ from a host with which you are staying (for example, a friend or family member) – this must be requested by your host from their local Mairie and sent to you prior to your arrival in France
    • Proof of sufficient funds to cover accommodation if you do not have proof of where you will be staying (see below).
  • Proof of travel insurance:
    • Travel insurance policy certificate, which covers you for all medical and hospital expenses in France, including repatriation costs and expenses (which are not covered by your GHIC). See the guidelines on what your travel insurance policy should include here.
    • GHIC card (optional but recommended).
  • Onward or return ticket showing the date you intend to leave France and/or the Schengen Zone (it goes without saying that this date should be within the allowed 90 day period)
  • Proof of sufficient funds to cover the duration of your stay – a recent bank statement or cash (for shorter stays). The amount of sufficient funds is determined as follows:
    • €65 per person, per day, assuming you already have a hotel or similar accommodation booking.
    • €32.50 per person, per day if you are staying with hosts (and have the above-mentioned ‘attestation d’accueil’) or at your own property.
    • €120 per person, per day if you have no proof of accommodation

After presenting all requested documents, you will have your passport stamped to show the date that you entered the Schengen zone. Do make sure your passport is stamped whenever you enter or leave the Schengen zone; otherwise, border guards will presume that you have overstayed your visa-free limit.

Post-Brexit border controls: How strict are they likely to be?

The above list is taken from the official requirements for entering France, which you can view here.

A question that many Brits have been asking is whether or not these documents will really all be required – after all, it’s quite a lot of paperwork for travellers who are used to regularly hopping over the Channel with little more than a passport. Many Brits have reported passing through border control in 2023 and 2024 without being asked for all of the above documents; others have reported being asked for some of them.

With regards to health insurance in particular, we’ve heard reports of Brits entering the country on a 90-day visa and also being granted temporary long-stay visitor visas with only their EHIC/GHIC – however, the official guidelines above state a need for a separate travel policy.

The bottom line is that border control agents are within their legal right to ask for some or all of these documents before permitting you to enter France, and they may refuse you entry if you cannot supply the requested documents.

Our best advice is therefore to follow the rules and make sure you have all the correct paperwork – better safe than sorry.

Arriving in France with a long-stay visa

Note that if you hold a long-stay visa, there may be other documents you need to bring with you – see our step-by-step guide to applying for a French long-stay visa, and follow the specific guidelines issued to you depending on your visa type.

I’m a British Citizen and French resident travelling to the UK

As a British Citizen who is permanently resident in France, you won’t have any extra requirements for entering the UK. However, there are some things to be aware of when leaving and re-entering France.

Firstly, it is your responsibility to present your Carte de Séjour residency permit along with your passport when leaving and entering France. As a French resident, you are not subject to the 90-day rule and should not have your passport stamped when leaving or entering France. However, over the last year, there have been mixed reports of residents having their passports stamped or not. Hopefully, as the rules become clearer to border guards, these inconsistencies will iron themselves out, but it’s a good idea to be proactive and clearly state that you are a French resident before handing over both your Carte de Séjour and your passport.

Ultimately, if your passport is stamped, don’t worry – legally, your residency permit trumps the stamp, and your right to residency will not be in question. However, it can make it awkward when leaving the country, as border guards may wrongly assume you have overstayed the 90 days.

Customs Regulations: What Can I Take Between France and the UK

Now we’ve covered all the necessary documents, another important change to be aware of are the rules and regulations regarding customs – i.e. what you can and can’t bring into France or back to the UK now that the UK has left the EU. These rules apply to anyone travelling between the two countries, regardless of your residency status.

You can see full details of the customs regulations for entering France here, but here are some of the most important things to note:

  • Prohibited items include flowers, plants and plant products, firewood, animal products (so that means no bacon, cheese, sausages, etc.), but also all animal-derived products, including milk (so no suet puddings, custard, sweets containing gelatine, and even chocolate – as it contains milk)
  • You may bring new items purchased or gifts received in the UK into France without filling out a customs declaration form if they do not exceed €430 (if arriving by plane or boat) or €300 (if arriving by car or train). Goods over this amount must be declared, and the relevant duties and taxes paid.
  • You may bring up to 200 cigarettes, 4L of wine or 16L of beer into the country duty-free.
  • You may bring prescription medications for personal use without a prescription, unless you are bringing more than three months’ supply – in which case, you must present a prescription.

You can see full details of the customs regulations for entering the UK here, but here are some of the most important things to note:

  • You can bring most meat, fish, dairy and other animal products into the UK, providing they are of EU origin.
  • You may bring new items purchased or gifts received in France into the UK without filling out a customs declaration form if they do not exceed your personal allowance. This depends on where in the UK you are going – see here for more details.
  • You may bring alcohol back from France up to the tune of 42L of beer, 18L of wine (or 9L of sparkling or fortified wine), or 4L of spirits and other liquors.

One potential upside of Brexit for UK residents is that at purchase you make during your time in France may be eligible for a VAT refund.

Post-Brexit Customs Restrictions & Allowances Between France and the UK

What Else Has Changed for France Travel Since Brexit?

Travelling by Car

If you are travelling to France by car, many things will stay the same as prior to Brexit. However, UK-registered cars must now clearly display a UK sticker on their car (unless your UK registration plates are ‘Europlates’ and display the GB Euro-symbol) – this UK sticker replaces the old ‘GB’ sticker.

UK drivers are not required to have green card insurance; however, you should check that your car is insured for driving in Europe and consider taking out European breakdown assistance too. Read more in our guide to Driving to France from the UK after Brexit.

Travelling with Pets

UK pets are no longer able to travel to France using the EU passport system – however, they can still accompany their owners to France. All dogs and cats coming to France must be microchipped or tattooed, must be vaccinated for rabies, and must have an Animal Health Certificate issued by a UK vet. Read more in our guide to Pets and Pet Passports After Brexit.

Mobile Phones

Since the UK left the EU, UK operators have been able to reintroduce roaming charges for British customers travelling to France and the EU. It’s essential to check with your service provider whether or not you will be subject to roaming charges in the EU, and if so, you might want to consider taking out a specific travel package to keep costs to a minimum.

Travel to France Pre-Departure Checklist 2022/2023

Getting ready to travel to France? To summarise the above information, here’s a handy pre-departure checklist of all the documents you need to travel to France from the UK.

(Note: this checklist is for British citizens and UK residents travelling to France for less than 90 days)

Document Checklist

  • Passport
  • Proof of accommodation (see article above for possible options)
  • Your travel insurance policy certificate
  • Your GHIC
  • Onward or return ticket
  • Bank statement or other proof of sufficient funds

Car Checklist

If travelling by car to France

  • Your UK driving licence
  • Your vehicle’s V5C registration certificate
  • Up-to-date vehicle tax and MOT
  • Proof of car insurance (valid in Europe)
  • UK sticker clearly displayed on your vehicle
  • Headlight converters/beam reflectors
  • An in-car security kit including a minimum of 1 hi-vis/reflective jacket and a warning triangle.

Depending on when and where you are travelling in France:

Pet Checklist

If bringing a pet to France

  • Your pet’s passport or identity document
  • Proof of rabies vaccination
  • Your pet’s Animal Health Certificate

Final to-do list

  • Turn mobile roaming off on your phone (if required)
  • Double-check you aren’t carrying any prohibited items such as plants or fresh meat, or dairy products.
  • Be sure that any goods purchased in the UK that you are bringing into France do not exceed your personal allowance.
  • Bring prescriptions for any medications if you are carrying more than a 3-month supply.

Share to:  Facebook  Twitter   LinkedIn   Email

Previous Article FAQs on French Estate Administration & Succession
Next Article News Digest: Additional Covid Tests for UK-France Travel & France’s Scarlet List

Related Articles

FrenchEntrée's Digital Editor, Zoë is also a freelance journalist who has written for the Telegraph, HuffPost, and CNN, and a guidebook updater for the Rough Guide to France and Rough Guide to Dordogne & Lot. She lives in the French countryside just outside of Nantes.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


  •  Evelyn Gorrill
    2023-11-13 01:36:05
    Evelyn Gorrill
    Frantic for advice. British citizen aged 76 with valid uk passport. Settled/resident in France in 2007 till 2018 when I moved to Italy after divorce. I missed the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement whilst in Italy due to Covid and then my son who is a French citizen living here 20 years, brought me to France to live. When we drove over the border between Italy and France there was no border control available to stamp my passport! I think I will be required to travel to London to the French Embassy to get a Long Stay Visa to join family I believe or can I do it at the local Prefecture? If I have to go back to the UK will I be stopped from leaving France due to my passport not having been stamped when I came across from Italy? I am quite frail and have no family in the UK to lodge with if I have to go back. Help and advice gratefully received please. Thank you.


    • Zoë Smith
      2023-11-15 20:26:06
      Zoë Smith
      Hi Evelyn, Thanks for getting in touch. I’m going to put this question to one of our experts in our webinar tomorrow and see if they can offer some advice, You can sign up for the free webinar here if you’re interested – we’ll also send out the recording of the event afterwards for anyone who missed it and it will go on our YouTube channel too. Kind regards, Zoe


  •  John Atherton
    2023-09-16 09:11:11
    John Atherton
    Hi, I am a british passport holder with a carte de sejour. Can I go through the EU passport control queue at airports to avoid the massive queues for the non EU passport holders? Also a British couple, of whom the wife has an Irish (EU) passport, told me that if you are accompanying an EU passport holder you can go together through the EU passport gate. Is this correct? Kind regards John Atherton


  •  Ronnie Brown
    2023-09-13 01:26:38
    Ronnie Brown
    We were booked for the ferry on 11th September but went through French passport control on 10th at 23:25pm, does this mean that I need to count the 10th September as a day of my Schengen days even though we didn’t arrive in France until 11th September?


  •  G.French
    2023-09-12 09:39:30
    Hi , I wonder if you could help with passport rules. My sister has lived in France for over 25 years . She is going to visit us in the Uk using her British passport this month (first time in 4 years) On entering the uk the passport will be under 10 years old but on her return to France it will be over 10 years ( according to the date of issue ,although valid until April 24)Will she be able to return to her home in France with this passport ? Would she need other proof of residency? Thank you for any information .


  • Christine Roach
    2023-06-13 09:47:32
    Christine Roach
    Very helpful information. Could you please tell me how much cash (in Euros) a person may take into France if flying in from UK? Many thanks, Chris Roach


  •  David James
    2023-04-03 11:34:00
    David James
    Hello Zoe, My wife and I are travelling to France in July for a 4 week holiday. My wife is Dutch and has dual nationality, so has two passports. I’m British, with a UK passport. My wife could use the EU gate at French Border Control. As her spouse, would I be permitted to go through with her with my British passport? I’ve heard informally that this is possible. Many thanks, David


  •  Emma
    2023-03-21 05:11:54
    Hi, my dad has a French passport which expires July this year (2023), he lives in the UK(has his right to remain in the UK certificate) ... do you know how many months he will need on his passport when coming back to England after visiting his mum?


    • Zoë Smith
      2023-03-23 09:12:04
      Zoë Smith
      Hi Emma, You can find the official information for EU citizens travelling to the UK here. In particular, it states, "You can cross the UK border using a valid passport which should be valid for the whole time you are in the UK." With this in mind, I would suggest applying for a new passport if there is time prior to travelling - if not, it might be a good idea to contact UK immigration and confirm that there won't be any problems re-entering with a passport that is close to expiry. Best of luck for your travels! Zoe


  •  Stephen Meller
    2022-11-01 01:32:23
    Stephen Meller
    Hi Zoe You have an interesting site which I will explore in more detail later. In the meantime can I ask a question. In a few days I will travel from a second home we have here in Serbia to our main home in Bath in the UK I will be driving a Sprinter van and I forgot to say I have a British passport From Serbia to the UK the van will be empty however the main reason of making this trip is to bring back various items from our UK house and therefore most will be old / secondhand ie furniture pictures and some of my wife's clothes etc. However I will be buying paint for our house here together with a few electrical items eg a clothes iron etc. I understand from your site that by car I can bring in up to 300 Euro Now my question - are the monetary limes just for new items or for everything? Warm Regards Steve


    • Zoë Smith
      2022-11-02 14:56:53
      Zoë Smith
      Hi Stephen, Thanks for getting in touch! My article on Post-Brexit Customs Restrictions & Allowances Between France and the UK will talk you through the basics, but for more specific questions, I would suggest getting in touch with French customs. You can write to them here or call them (they will typically have someone who speaks English) - you can find the number at the bottom of this page. I imagine there is some kind of document required for imports where the final destination is not France (rather, in your case, Serbia),. I hope this helps and best of luck for your trip - I hope you get to enjoy a little bit of France along the way! Zoe


  • Roselle Angwin
    2022-08-05 08:31:00
    Roselle Angwin
    Hi Zoë My two sisters (in their early 60s) are coming to stay at our home in France for a week in October. Do I REALLY need to get an attestation d'accueil for them from my mairie? I think the maire will think it's an absurd request!


    • Zoë Smith
      2022-08-07 19:28:47
      Zoë Smith
      Hi Roselle, Reports of British travellers being asked for the attestation d’accueil do not seem to be that common - however, some travellers have reported being asked to prove accommodation and/or sufficient funds, so this is up to you if you wish to take that risk. If requested, your sisters could also prove that they have sufficient funds to cover any accommodation costs for their stay.

      Ultimately, while it seems many Brits are not being asked for all of these things at the border, it's important to remember that the French border control are 100% within their rights to ask for any them. Best regards, Zoe


  • John Allaway
    2022-05-28 02:55:19
    John Allaway
    Thanks for the most informative and helpful article I've found on this subject Zoe. A few things still aren't completely clear to me though. Firstly, what constitues adequate proof of funds on arrival? I intend to stay with friends in the Pyrenees, but can't give firm dates. I may also visit friends in Lot, and possibly Menton. In other words, I'll be travelling more or less randomly throughout France for a couple of weeks on my old motorcycle, so will need to show I have at least 120 Euros er day - will a bank statement nearly one month old be good enough? I have a debit card but not a credit card - can customs use this to verify funds? My motorcycle is 42 years old and is exempt from MoT. Will this be a problem? Presumably, the fact that it's taxed will show that it meets the UK requirements? The UK sticker - does this have to be a specific size? My motorcycle number plate doesn't have space for anything more than a very small sicker - can I stick it anywhere at the back that can be seen? Headlamp beam deflector - I can rotate the headlight so that the beam is angled to the right - will this be OK? Finally, any tips on mobile phone use? I have an old Nokia which doesn't even take photos and is far from 'smart'. I have a pay as you go setup. Normally when I go to France (not since 2019), I just turn it on, it finds a provider somehow and just works - doesn't cost much to phone home in England either. I'm worried that the cost will now be huge, and I don;t know how much credit to buy before I go, or what to do about 'roaming'? Thanks in advance if you can help with any or all of my questions!


    • Zoë Smith
      2022-06-01 21:31:56
      Zoë Smith
      Hi John,
      Yes, a bank statement showing savings would be sufficient, as would proof of pension income, salary, business/rental income, etc. I would definitely print out a bank statement in case you are asked for it and you can always present your debit card as additional proof if required.

      Regarding your motorbike, there are no additional requirements in France being as you are not importing the vehicle, you are just travelling to France with it. As long as it meets the UK requirements and is insured for the trip, you shouldn't run into any problems. As far as I know, there is no specific size for the UK sticker although it should be visible - perhaps it could be attached to a panier or rack?

      If your headlamp beam is adjustable this will be sufficient - the important thing is that you do not dazzle other drivers when driving at night.

      Finally, I definitely recommend getting in touch with whoever your phone service provider is and checking their costs for Europe - it's better to know in advance! Alternatively, there are prepaid travel sims available to purchase either in the UK or in France. In France, Orange offers a few options, most notably the Orange holiday tourist card - see here . That might be worth looking into.

      Best of luck for your trip! Zoe


  • Steve Halstead
    2022-05-08 11:48:14
    Steve Halstead
    ''Note that as a non-resident UK citizen, you do not have a right to use the NHS when travelling in the UK without this card.'' This is not strictly correct. If you are a non-resident UK citizen with an S1 issued by UK ( ie retired, in receipt of a UK state pension ) you retain the right to use the NHS whenever you visit UK. This was confirmed by HMRC. I suggest an addition to the otherwise accurate statement A further question ;- What proof of accommodation is required by motor home users who visit France to tour the country ?


    • Zoë Smith
      2022-05-12 13:17:46
      Zoë Smith
      Hi Steve, Yes, you are absolutely right about S1 holders - thanks for reminding me! I've amended the article accordingly. Regarding your travels to France, in the absence of proof of accommodation, proof of sufficient funds to cover the entire duration of your stay will suffice. In 2021, this was calculated at €65 per day (it will now have gone up slightly in accordance with the French minimum wage). Prepare a recent bank statement or other official proof of funds to present at the border if asked. I would also advise booking at least your first nights in advance so that you have an initial address to present to the border guards, too. I hope this helps and best of luck for your travels! Zoe


  •  Loretta Shoben
    2022-04-18 07:17:38
    Loretta Shoben
    I am a USA citizen with indefinite leave to remain in the UK. Can I travel to France for two weeks without a visa?


  • Susan Harwood
    2021-12-09 12:42:16
    Susan Harwood
    We own a holiday home in France. We are both fully vaccinated, but I am over 65, and our vaccination certificates are the paper copy. We do not have a smartphone capable of showing this. I have had a booster vac but the UK does not document this for me. How do I show it? Do I need to show it? Or is the pre travel covid test sufficient now? Can anyone help?