Everything You Need to Know About France’s Talent Passport


Essential Reading

Everything You Need to Know About France’s Talent Passport

If you’re hoping to work, start a business, or work as a freelancer in France, then the Talent Passport or ‘Passeport Talent’might be the visa for you. Valid for four years, it has a host of benefits, including the possibility to bring your family with you to France. Here’s what you need to know.

What is a ‘Talent Passport’?

France’s Talent Passport was introduced in 2016 with the aim to attract more foreign creators, innovators and entrepreneurs to move to France and make it easier for them to do so. The Talent Passport is a multi-year residence card that skips the step of a long-stay visa and allows recipients to live, work or set up a business in France, as well as to bring their family with them.

The passeport talent has a number of benefits, most notably:

  • It’s valid for up to four years: after applying for the Talent Passport, successful applicants will receive a four-year residence card on arrival in France. This eliminates the hassle, cost, and paperwork of applying for a long-stay visa and carte de séjour, followed by annual renewals.
  • It’s renewable: your four-year residence card is also renewable, making this one of the easiest paths to seeking permanent residency in France.
  • It allows you to work or set up a business in France: the Talent Passport serves as a work permit enabling you to seek employment, work as a freelancer, or set up a business in a similar way to any French or EU citizen in France. In most instances, you do not need an employment contract or job waiting for you.
  • It allows you to bring your family: the Talent Passport is one of few French visas that allow you to bring your spouse and children with you for the entire duration. Even more significant is that family members over 18 will also be granted a multi-year residence permit allowing them to seek employment during their stay in France.

Who Is Eligible for a Talent Passport in France?

The passeport talent programme is open to all non-EU citizens (excluding Algerian citizens and citizens of overseas territories French Polynesia, New Caledonia, and Wallis and Futuna) who demonstrate a high level of creative, academic, or business skills, or who have a proven reputation or expertise in their professional field,be that scientific, literary, artistic, intellectual, educational, or sporting.

Eligibility requirements vary depending on the nature of your skill or profession, and you may require a certain level of education (for example, a Master’s degree or above), proof of sufficient income (as an artist or freelancer), a business plan, or a job contract depending on the type of Talent Passport you are applying for.

Here’s a breakdown of who can apply:

Qualified or highly qualified paid employees

This option is for employees who have been hired by a French company to work or carry out research. This applies to:

  • ‘Young innovative companies’ – see the definition (in French) of that here. You will need to prove an annual income of at least two times the French minimum legal wage for a full-time worker.
  • A company belonging to the same international group as your current employer. You will need to prove an annual income of at least 1.8 times the French minimum legal wage for a full-time worker.
  • A public or private research institute or higher education organisation. You will need to prove qualifications to a Master’s level or more.
  • Highly qualified employers. You will need to prove an annual income of at least 1.5 times the French minimum legal wage for a full-time worker.

Self-Employed or ‘liberal profession’*

This option is for freelancers, investors, and entrepreneurs looking to start or run a business in France. This applies to those who plan to:

  • Create a business or take one over. You must prove you have ‘a real and serious business creation project in France’, including a minimum investment of €30,000 and either a master’s degree or five years’ experience in the field.
  • Make a direct economic investment. You must prove an equity investment of over 10% that provides you with a lasting interest in the recipient company.
  • Engage in an innovative economic project recognised by a public body. You must justify an innovative economic project that you want to develop in France.
  • Take up a corporate appointment at a French company. You will need to prove an annual income of at least three times the French minimum legal wage for a full-time worker.

*‘Liberal’ professions in France include a wide range of freelance professions, including writers, editors, physiotherapists, dieticians, lawyers, doctors, accountants, athletes, and many online professions – see the full list here.

Individuals with a national or international reputation

This option is for workers, freelancers, and entrepreneurs looking to engage in an activity in France in the domains of science, literature, the arts, academia, education or sports.

You must prove ‘Your reputation in your domain and your recognition in this professional environment’, as well as sufficient income or funds (the equivalent of the minimum legal wage in France for a full-time worker) to cover your stay.

Performer or creator of literary or artistic work

This option is for performers or creators that wish to carry out their activity in France on an employed or self-employed basis. You may need to show contracts or details of the project, and you will also need to prove sufficient funds based on 70% of the minimum legal wage in France for a full-time worker to cover your stay.

Read more about the different types of passeport talent available on the France Visas website here. You can also see breakdowns of some of the different requirements for businesses, graduates, and investors on the French government site here.

How to Apply for a French Talent Passport

You can start the application for a French Talent Passport online here, and the process is the same as for all other long-stay visa applications. Expect to be asked for a considerable amount of paperwork in addition to those required for a standard visa application. The exact documents required will depend upon the nature of your application, but you should be prepared to provide evidence of your qualifications, work contracts or experience, financial records, sufficient funds, and a solid and financially viable business plan.

Follow our step-by-step guide to applying for a French long-stay visa.

What Other Options Do I Have Aside from the Talent Passport?

There are many different visa options for moving to France, so if you don’t fit the criteria for a Talent Passport, that doesn’t mean that you won’t be able to find a suitable road to residency. Find out more about working in France and the different French long-stay visas to assess your options.

Moving to France?

From applying for your visa and opening a French bank account, to integrating in your new community – FrenchEntrée is here to help! Let our Essential Reading and Visa & Residency articles guide you through the whole process, then visit our Owning Property, French Tax, Healthcare, and Life in France zones for everything else you need to know.

Disclaimer: Our Essential Reading articles are designed to give an overview of the visa requirements and procedures for moving to France. We always check our information against the official government information made available to the public, however, please remember that all visa applications are considered on an individual basis and the exact requirements, fees, or application procedure may vary. Unless you are an EU citizen, obtaining a French visa is not a right, and we cannot guarantee that your visa will be approved.

Share to:  Facebook  Twitter   LinkedIn   Email

Previous Article French Property Showdown: Côtes d’Armor VS Var
Next Article News Digest: Almost 100,000 Brits granted Residence Permits and Macron has lost his Majority

Related Articles

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


  •  Charles
    2023-11-29 12:10:13
    Hi Zoe, May I please ask what the tax implications are with a talent passport? If I reside in France under a talent passport, but earn all or most of my money in the USA, through work and investments, will I have to file a French income tax report. Also, am I liable for French taxes, or am I exempt from French taxes on the moneys earned worldwide? Thanks, Charles


    • Zoë Smith
      2023-11-30 09:59:06
      Zoë Smith
      Hi Charles, All French residents must by law file a French tax return and all international income/investments/bank accounts must be declared, regardless of whether you have taxes to pay in France or not. As for tax liability, it will depend on your individual situation and it would probably be worth seeking the advice of a tax advisor that specialises in French/US taxes (let me know if you want any recommendations) to ensure that you find the most tax efficient solution for you. There is a double-tax treaty between the US and France, so you won't end up paying the same taxes twice, but that doesn't mean that you are exempt from filing a French or US tax return. In the meantime, here are a couple of articles that may help: Understanding French Tax- Are You Tax Resident in France? When Do I Need to File My First Tax Return After Moving to France? Kind regards, Zoe


  • Li
    2023-07-03 04:41:01
    Hello Zoë, I moved to France 6 months ago with a Talent Passport (applied by my current company) and I have received my 4 years Titre de séjour. Am I allowed to switch to a different employer before my Titre de séjour expires? Will there be any "side effect" if I do so? Thank you for your time.


  • Robert F
    2023-04-17 01:13:56
    Robert F
    Hi Zoë, Wife and I have long-stay visiteur French visas - this is our 1st year here in Paris. I’m retired from real estate in L.A. but am a “Fine Art” photographer and want to change my long-stay visa to the Creative Artist visa so I can continue to sell my photos as I have done for many years alongside my real estate biz. The Creative Visa application requires “contrats de travail” and proof of 49% of the French monthly minimum income coming from my photography sales. I don’t have contracts! I sell at shows, galleries, art fairs - no contract work. I have substantially more than adequate financial resources to support the financial requirements but am concerned about how to meet the “contracts” requirements for the application. Any thoughts? Most appreciated!


    • Zoë Smith
      2023-04-18 12:40:54
      Zoë Smith
      Hi Robert, If you haven't already, I highly recommend signing up for next week's Visa applications & healthcare webinar - this would be a great question to put to our experts! You can also send in your specific question in advance to me at [email protected]. Hope to see you there!


  •  Namrata
    2023-03-03 12:41:20
    Hi, my husband has a talent passeport and I have a talent passeport (spouse), with a right to work. I had a job for 2 years, but now I want to freelance. Am I allowed to do this on my current CDS or do I need to change my status?


    • Zoë Smith
      2023-03-06 10:01:36
      Zoë Smith
      Hi Namrata, Being as your CDS gives you the right to work and is not tied to a particular job, you have the right to work as a freelancer. However, you must make sure that you set up as business to do so - the simplest option is to become an auto-entrepeneur. Best of luck! Zoe


  •  Alex
    2023-03-02 04:20:48
    Hello there, I have a CDS "Passeport Talent : Salarie en Mission Exercice d'une Activite salariee" which is valid for a few more years. I used to have a temporary contract but I am changing my french contract to a permanent now. Here are few questions: 1) Do I have to change my residence permit type? Obiously, I am not "salarie en mission" anymore... 2) Can I leave it "as is" till it expires? What is the consequence? 3) A time ago I've read that this particular CDS type doesn't count into years for permanent resident permit. Does anyone knows anything about it?


  • Dupi
    2023-02-26 09:37:55
    Hello Zoe, I am an expat and have a CDS as "Passeport Talent : Salarie en Mission Exercice d'une Activite salariee". Through my current employer I came to France 4 years back. Can I start my own company in France now or I have to change my VISA category? Thanks in advance.


    • Zoë Smith
      2023-03-02 13:23:02
      Zoë Smith
      Hi Dupi, You can only carry out the kind of work in France that is covered by the type of visa/carte de sejour that you hold. However, it is possible to change visa types when you renew your visa or apply for a permanent residency card (providing, of course, that you meet the requirements). This article is a good place to start: The Road to Permanent Residency in France: A Step by Step Overview Best, Zoe


  • Mariah Millen
    2023-02-03 10:35:24
    Mariah Millen
    Hey, I'm a Canadian athlete training towards the Paris Olympics. I'm looking for a long stay Visa- would I be eligible for a talent visa, or should I apply for another type of long stay visa.


    • Zoë Smith
      2023-02-07 10:29:48
      Zoë Smith
      Hi Mariah, A talent passport might well be an option for you as an athlete, as long as you meet all the other requirements. If you're looking for someone to help you with the application process, I would be happy to put you in touch with our partners at French Connections HCB. Otherwise, you can follow the links in the article to learn more about the Talent Passport. Best of luck for your visa application and your training! Zoe


  •  Rahul
    2023-01-25 05:55:03
    Hi, my wife travelling to france on Talent Passport. As I am travelling on Dependent Visa, do they have any minimum period I have to stay in France. I am planning to come back and leave my job after 2 months.


    • Zoë Smith
      2023-02-07 10:34:18
      Zoë Smith
      Hi Rahul, Typically your French visa allows you to come and go as you please within the validity period of the visa. Hope this helps! Zoe


  •  Elan
    2023-01-18 11:57:17
    Hi one of my employees recently moved to France and has a talent passport (family). Do you know if I can still pay him normally to his Canadian bank account but then he will just pay all taxes in France on the earnings? Or should he be a freelancer and invoice us here in Canada instead? Thanks. Elan


    • Zoë Smith
      2023-01-24 10:06:10
      Zoë Smith
      Hi Elan, This will depend on the conditions of your employee's visa and business status in France. Has he received a Talent Visa as an employee of your company? Or is he setting up as a small business owner or freelancer (such as the auto-entrepeneur status for example). Either way, I would highly advise that your employee seeks advice from a tax advisor in France on which status would be most suitable and the relevant steps required. I would be happy to put him in touch with one of our partners if desired. Best regards, Zoe


  •  AizaK
    2022-12-26 11:53:00
    Hi, My husband is currently living in France and recently got his Talente Passeport. We have a daughter aged 16 now (DOB July 29, 2006). She studies in an international school in china and will graduate in 2024. My daughter and I will visit my husband in France next summer 2023. We will move to France in 2024 together after she graduates high school and pursues a university education in EU. When should we apply for her talent passport? in the year 2023 or 2024?


    • Zoë Smith
      2023-01-03 08:38:31
      Zoë Smith
      Hi AzizaK, France Visas states that you should "you are able to submit your application three months to two weeks prior to your departure date for a long stay visa". Best of luck! Zoe


  •  Frasha Khan
    2022-11-09 04:23:12
    Frasha Khan
    My husband has applied for Carte Sejour but hasn't received any response from Prefecture. And till he doesn't received his foreign number i can't apply for carte sejour family. Problem is my visa expires on 22 November 2022. Shall i be allowed to stay after 22 November.


    • Zoë Smith
      2022-11-22 00:30:26
      Zoë Smith
      Hi Frasha, You should have received a confirmation that your visa application has been received - in which case this will serve as proof of application until you receive your carte de séjour (read this carefully as it is typically valid up until a certain date after the expiration of your visa). If you haven’t received this or it is nearing the expiration date, you should contact your local prefecture. Best regards, Zoe