The UK Government Is Allocating £3 Million to Support UK Nationals in the EU

The UK Government Is Allocating £3 Million to Support UK Nationals in the EU

The UK government has announced an exciting new measure to provide practical support to UK citizens living in the EU. What have they said, and what does this mean for you and your family?

The British government is to allocate £3 million to help UK nationals apply for residency rights in the EU countries they live in. Some of these funds will go to charities and organisations providing appropriate, practical support, particularly for potentially at-risk groups such as pensioners and disabled people.

The organisations will receive government funding to support those who may find it more difficult to complete all the paperwork required for residency applications. They are expected to help with communication, mobility and any other extra support such as translation/interpretation.

The armed forces charity, SSAFA, has been allocated funds to continue their work with British veterans and their families in France, Germany and Cyprus. The Franco British Network and the International Organisation for Migration will also be receiving funds.

Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said:

“These organisations are doing vital work to support UK Nationals in the EU and this funding will help secure their rights under the Withdrawal Agreement, so that they are given the security and stability they need.”

Now that the UK has left the EU, some UK nationals living in certain EU member states will need to take action to secure their residency rights, so that they can continue to live and work in their host country as they do now.

Over 1 million UK nationals live in EU and EFTA countries. This extra assistance will build on the information and support that British Embassies are already providing.

Under the terms of the Withdrawal Agreement, UK nationals living in the EU before the end of the transition period can continue to live and work in their host country.

In many countries, UK nationals will need to register or apply for residency in order to secure their rights under the Withdrawal Agreement. The exact steps they will need to take will vary by country.

As part of the ongoing information campaign, the government is encouraging all UK nationals in France to visit the Living in France Guide and sign up for tailored alerts to receive the latest information about what actions they may need to take.

Share to:  Facebook  Twitter   LinkedIn   Email

Previous Article Why expats in France need a Conseil en Gestion de Patrimoine advisor
Next Article Flybe Collapse: How France is Affected

Related Articles

Your FrenchEntrée Content Manager, here to keep you updated on the latest and greatest in French news, property and more.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *